Pre diabetic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

soggybadger

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi. I have just been informed by my GP that I may be pre diabetic and was wanting to ask if this has any bearing on my diving. I have only been able to get information on types 1&2 and I'm not sure if that is relevant. I say may as they are not sure if it is an anomaly. Thanks.

This usually means that your fasting glucose levels are approaching those of a diabetic.

Go see a good endocrinologist. Change your diet and get fit. You don't HAVE to get diabetes. There will be a lot of Internet Medical advice here. Good luck!

This usually means that your fasting glucose levels are approaching those of a diabetic.

Go see a good endocrinologist. Change your diet and get fit. You don't HAVE to get diabetes. There will be a lot of Internet Medical advice here. Good luck!
I am fit and I have a superb diet. Thats not the problem and is why my GP is unsure. I weigh ten and a half stone ( down from twelve) and i am six foot tall . I have had a kidney removed this year and the function of the remaining kidney is way down but I don't think this is relevant. Mostly I wanted to know if I should continue to dive or not. Thanks for the good luck buddy.

I am fit and I have a superb diet. Thats not the problem and is why my GP is unsure. I weigh ten and a half stone ( down from twelve) and i am six foot tall . I have had a kidney removed this year and the function of the remaining kidney is way down but I don't think this is relevant. Mostly I wanted to know if I should continue to dive or not. Thanks for the good luck buddy.

I don't see why you should not continue to dive provided your glucose levels stay within a healthy range and you don't get hypoglycemic. Not sure about the endocrinological symptoms of wet weasels though.

I don't see why you should not continue to dive provided your glucose levels stay within a healthy range and you don't get hypoglycemic. Not sure about the endocrinological symptoms of wet weasels though.
Lmao! Thank you.

Contact DAN, and hopefully Duke Dive Medicine will chime in here as well. Best go to the experts on your question, especially considering your kidney functions are way down. Personally, that would concern me more than the pre-diabetes diagnosis.

Contact DAN, and hopefully Duke Dive Medicine will chime in here as well. Best go to the experts on your question, especially considering your kidney function are way down. Personally, that would concern me more than the pre-diabetes diagnosis.
I'm in remission. Maybe anyway.

meh. I’ve been pre-diabetic for as long as there were globose test strips, and a 5.9 a1c since the test came out.

Your pancreas is doing the best it can. As long as it continues to do so, keep diving. As an aside, I have fatty liver disease. My hepetologist perscribed 1000 iu of fish oil per hundred lbs body weight 15 years ago, which I have never missed. Currently, there is no evidence of fatty liver disease and my kidney numbers have all returned to normal. The edge of normal to be sure, but still not outliers.

meh. I’ve been pre-diabetic for as long as there were globose test strips, and a 5.9 a1c since the test came out.

Your pancreas is doing the best it can. As long as it continues to do so, keep diving. As an aside, I have fatty liver disease. My hepetologist perscribed 1000 iu of fish oil per hundred lbs body weight 15 years ago, which I have never missed. Currently, there is no evidence of fatty liver disease and my kidney numbers have all returned to normal. The edge of normal to be sure, but still not outliers.
Thank you for the reply. I do currently take cod liver oil ( farking horrible) just as a dietary supplement and lots of oily fish. I will look into this more. Nice to know that it's not going to stop me diving as that would be a bit much after all the other bollocks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom