Air spool leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've seen some leak when the O-ring was just a little bit flattened but otherwise appeared good. I'm guessing the green O-rings are for Nitrox? Perhaps they are not exactly the same size as the black O-rings.

I had one recently where I replaced the O-rings (Nitrile, black) and it still leaked. I twisted it around a few times and the seal set itself and now it's fine. Also, I always stretch the O-rings on an awl before I put them on--makes it a lot easier. Now I'm wondering if it's making them a tad bigger too. I also put a little silicone grease on a Q-tip (a little of the cotton removed so it fits) and clean out the holes real well. Of course, if you are using Nitrox, then you'd need the other, special lube (can't think of the name).

None of mine (I have 7 or 8) appear to be directional. I have an old US Divers mini-gauge and it doesn't look like the spool comes out. Anyone happen to know? It is working fine with only one O-ring replacement. So far.

Have fun installing those o-rings.
If its a spool with the center collar its actually not too bad. Just find something around the house with a hole smaller than the collar but deep enough to hold the spool without it touching bottom. I used a pair of pliers, the little hole opposite the cutting egde (sorry don’t know the right terms). This held the spool upright and stable. I then balanced the o-ring over the end and pressed down both edges simultaneously with my thumb nails. Took one try and about 15 seconds. If this makes no sense I can make and post a clip...

I've seen some leak when the O-ring was just a little bit flattened but otherwise appeared good. I'm guessing the green O-rings are for Nitrox? Perhaps they are not exactly the same size as the black O-rings.

I had one recently where I replaced the O-rings (Nitrile, black) and it still leaked. I twisted it around a few times and the seal set itself and now it's fine. Also, I always stretch the O-rings on an awl before I put them on--makes it a lot easier. Now I'm wondering if it's making them a tad bigger too. I also put a little silicone grease on a Q-tip (a little of the cotton removed so it fits) and clean out the holes real well. Of course, if you are using Nitrox, then you'd need the other, special lube (can't think of the name).

None of mine (I have 7 or 8) appear to be directional. I have an old US Divers mini-gauge and it doesn't look like the spool comes out. Anyone happen to know? It is working fine with only one O-ring replacement. So far.

Christolube or Tribolube.

I don't think any of the really old SPGs have spools, just a post sticking out with a spot for one or sometimes 2 o rings.

Have fun installing those o-rings.
I used to struggle with installing these -003 o-rings in the correct 90 Duro too (they are often found on leaky 'recently serviced' SPG's in 70 Duro which is easy to install but too soft for HP use).

Then someone showed me a great tip...just use a pencil eraser!

Get a new -003 o-ring, little bit of lube in the centre.
Sit it on the eraser then press the spool down firmly onto it.
Start at an angle to get one end in first then press down as you rotate to vertical... these tiny 90 Duro o-rings go straight on.

Impressive party trick on the LOB :D

The tiny o-rings aren't that hard to put on. Just use your thumb to press the o-ring onto the spool. Use a pipe cleaner to clean the hose and the SPG.

I've struggled with installing those o-rings many times. Recently, I got a big needle. stuck the dull end in the spool, put the o-ring on the sharp tip and then slid the lubricated o-ring down the needle and onto the spool. It was pretty easy, don't know how many dented thumbs I have suffered before figuring this out.

Back
Top Bottom