Dive compressor on deck.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bananas75

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi all
I have installed a bauer petrol compressor on my boat deck in a fiberglass box. I was intending to leave the compressor in the box while running as its a weighty little thing and I didn't fancy trying to lift it and move it around a rocking boat when Im out and about. I was intending to cut a removable panel in the side of the box for the exhaust and run an air hose up the mast.

There is a good six inches of space round all side of the compressor and I would keep the lid of the box open at all times.

However a neighbour has suggested that the compressor will get too hot in the box and I either need to accept lifting it out for use or cut decent sized holes in each side of the box to allow air flow.

Also I would rather not have vents as a plain box looks boring, but one with vents makes it look interesting and may attract unwanted light fingered attention.

So the question is, do I need air vents in each side of the box, and if so how big would you suggest they be?

You don’t just need vents, you need powered ventilation. Compressors like a lot of air to both breath and to cool them. Depending on how fancy you want to get, you could put a thermocouple in the box to start more fans when the ambient hits 100, or just supply 2 big squirrel cage fans that run all the time when the compressor is running.

Biggest problem I see with yachts is lack of engine and compressor ventilation.

The rule of thumb for suction air is to increase your snorkel diameter by 1” for each 10 feet of length up to 4”. So if you go up the mast 10 feet you need 2” hose. If 20 feet, 3” hose. Remember a rain guard.

Thank you, that's interesting. In that case I suspect I might have to just man up and lift it out of the box every time I use it.

Good shout about the snorkel. As it only has a 3/4 inch on the air intake can I use a 2" to 3/4" reducer (which will drop it to 5/8ths) or do I need to get hold of a larger air intake unit?

Whatever Wookie says about this stuff, you can take to the bank.

Thank you, that's interesting. In that case I suspect I might have to just man up and lift it out of the box every time I use it.

Good shout about the snorkel. As it only has a 3/4 inch on the air intake can I use a 2" to 3/4" reducer (which will drop it to 5/8ths) or do I need to get hold of a larger air intake unit?
No, your intake is probably 3/4 inch, and that’s fine. You would likely get a 15 foot snorkel just fine. Don’t forget to leave the filter on it.

Why not bolt your compressor to the deck with U-bolts etc and make your cover removable? You can buy some latches to hold the cover down when making passage or when you don’t want the neighbors to see it, and stow the cover when you run the air compressor.

Hmm, removable cover. Why didn't I think of that..... :facepalm:

I already bolted the compressor and the box through the deck, so taking the top off the existing box and turning it upside down seems and easy solution.

You may be able to find another place nearby that you can have a second mounting location for the box where it will be stable and may provide an optional place to sit.

Yeah, bolt it through the lid and remove the box portion

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom