Missed deco stop, lock out?

If you miss a deco stop and surface, will your dive computer lock you out?

• I don't know

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • Yes

Votes: 53 36.8%
  • No, if no, please list the brand, and model, if relevant, below

Votes: 84 58.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's why I love tables... LOL.. But my veo3 has never locked up on me.. I also have never missed acalled for Deco stop...

Jim...

I have locked out a Mares Puck that was in my pocket when my Cochran was okay with what I was doing....
Ha, I did the same thing when I was diving a Cochran EMC-14 as my primary and had a Dive Rite Nitek Duo in my pocket. The Duo was conservative, a little more so than PZ+

My Shearwater you know.

My Cressi Giotto...yes for 48 hours...

“Omitted decompression stage alarm.
If, by any reason, the decompression stage is "forced" by surfacing above the depth given by the computer, an alarm will sound and the down arrow of the decompression icon will flash on the display until the diver descends back to the proper depth or below it. The computer allows a maximum time of 2 minutes to correct this dangerous situation, clearly marked by a continuous acoustic alarm. After 2 minutes without the diver descending to the proper depth, Giotto enters in the ERROR PROGRAM making the “STOP” icon flash. It will not be possible to use the device for the subsequent 48 hours. The only function working will be the clock and it will be possible to access the Logbook and History Later, in the PRE DIVE screen the "STOP“ icon will start flashing, together with the word DECO and the stop icon with the arrow up flashing. This means that the decompression stage was omitted during the last dive. The LOG BOOK will store the same warning, indicating that on a specific date, the dive with a specific number was carried out without the decompression stage.
DANGER: under these conditions you won't be able to dive for the next 48 hours”

Are you sure in fact that S/W doesn't [eventually] lock out? I am aware that both S/W and Cochran will recalculate on the fly a solution if you miss a stop (or two or three....), always providing a solution, but I am uncertain if S/W will "lock out" if you actually blow it all off and surface (permanently).

To be honest, I would rather not be in a position to actually find out....... (though I need to re-read my manuals)

In the "Features" list, the Petrel manual specifically says
No lockout from violating deco stops

So it will allow you to be just as foolish as you want.
Their "warning" page and the disclaimers are also entertaining.

The Liquivision computers wouldn't either. I remember the X1 as being the first to implement standard VPM and later Buhlmann GF algorithms with no lock outs. I've been doing 2-3 liveaboard trips yearly for a while now, and on every one it seems that there is at least one diver with a locked out computer, usually because he didn't take the time to understand its quirks/idiocies. I can only shake my head at the whole idea.

Perdix x 2.

The SW simply tells you where you need to be to get below M value pressure of all compartments. I assume after blowing decompression it will eventually calculate that you have off gassed enough to be on the surface, but I don't plan to test it.

I don't know how my D6i does, but i suppose it lock me out if i miss deco.

My Cobra will lock me out, but a "hard reset" will open it. Nothing i recommend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom