Classes that impacted who you are as a diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fisherdvm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been flamed for having the label DM candidate on SB for the last 10 years. Assuming that the DM status gives you un fathomed wisdom. But it doesn’t. It was just a class, and I am just a diver - non professional. But - these are the classes that impacted me: Intro to GUE - a weekend course, but we drilled on buoyancy skill, kicks, and alot of skills. Have to make time for the full fundamental course. TDI solo - although there was no formal instruction in the water, the content does imprint the necessity of reserve gas in addition to the pony when you can not trust your instabuddy or the environment is new or different. It should be a mandatory course for all divers who dives with blonds, photographers, children, hunters or instabuddy. DM course - a good exposure and reinforcement of basic skills. Assisting in 4 classes gave me opportunities to practice rescue skills in real life, and witnessed true emergency like dealing with free flow regulator at depth in an aow class. Where else in Michigan can you dive in the winter? Sign up for a DM class! Better ask stupid questions in a class than on SB - you do not get flammed alot. I just carry an aow card when I dive. That is my level of diving - no more, no less.

Ed Hayes' Buoyancy 1 & 2 classes which he used to teach at Scuba Shack in Rocky Hills, Conn. Although I was one of his less talented students, a lot of it stuck, and it shows on every dive trip I go on these days. I know for a fact that the fish at Palau last week were impressed with my back kick!

The PADI rescue class that was good for me. Certainly rescue scenarios would be a stressful situation, and you are taught how to react to help/save someone. But the best class for me was In IANTD taking the Cavern Course. Learnt so many skills and a focus on buoyancy trim propulsion from a Cave instructor.

Underwater Naturalist and the prize: Fish Behaviors.

Once I learned to dive, this is what that was all for.

I've complete advanced, buoyancy, nitrox and rescue and I wouldn't say any of them really impacted me. The courses were to basic and way to focused on checking boxes. I've learned more practicing and watching other divers (both in person and on youtube). For me a good comparison would be to a secondary school science lab to a scientist. I must have enjoyed my science classes enough to spend 10 years in Uni studying science but I really don't remember much from my secondary school labs and I definitely didn't develop my skills there.

A combined Wreck and Deep class.

The instructor was a tech instructor who taught the class as if the students would be proceeding on to tech training and advanced wreck penetration training. Both of which I ultimately did. That class led directly to my first tech training. That initial tech training (with the same instructor) was the best class I've taken in terms of my diving skills and my overall enjoyment of diving. But it all started with that initial Deep/Wreck class.

For me, the one that had the most impact was my basic PADI Open Water course because it opened the door to everything that followed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom