Convert or not to convert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wildbill9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
1st trip to Indonesia, we will be on a live aboard and spend one night in Sorang. Any reason to exchange usd for local currency? Taxi from airport and dinner all we will probably spend. What is a standard charge for a taxi from the airport to Swiss Bel-Hotel

Always exchange a little ($100?), excess luggage, snacks at the airport, airport to Swissbel probably 50-100,000 rupiah. However, there should be a free pickup if you organize with the hotel ahead of time.

Sorong?

Staying at Swiss-Belhotel? I don’t believe they have a ‘free’ shuttle. They will arrange a car for you, but there are numerous cabs waiting. SB arranging transportation will cost you more, and I suspect other hotels will up the charge to do the same.

The other viable option is the Belgari. Nice view from the partial open air top floor deck.

Both the SB and Belgari are ‘interesting’ hotels - clean, but interesting food service.

SOQ is a new airport. Baggage claim to the curb and taxi is about 200 feet.

Why not? Exchange a hundred at least for IDR. Perhaps more, you can use it for your onboard charges and gratuity.

Be nice, don’t force USD on locals who lose when they exchange to IDR.

Which boat?

Arriving in Sorong you will find ‘lots’ of help with both baggage and transportation.

My suggestions

First, find someone to tote your luggage to the curb. I tip the folks just as in the USA, but you can tip a lot less.

Second, ask the price of a few drivers - the priced will be close. Look at the car and see if it meets your needs. Ask, it may be in the lot - the driver will make the deal with you and drive up to the curb. Drive time to your hotel is quick.

The ride is cheap and your first introduction to Sorong.

Want a look at life in Sorong? Take a shared vehicle to Saga - great fun.

And, did anyone tell you that you will have cell service for most of the LB trip? You might consider a SIM card for your voyage - cheap for data and not much more for voice.

Staying at Swiss-Belhotel? I don’t believe they have a ‘free’ shuttle.
They do not, I had checked when we stayed there in April. I don't know if that's a local "thing", or they just have no motivation to do so. (I figure a free shuttle in Jakarta encourages travelers to stay there and helps an airport area hotel to compete. Swiss-Belhotel Sorong more or less has a monopoly if you want to stay someplace sort of nice, so they don't really have to make an effort.)

I think we changed 100 USD, and that covered us for whatever taxis, souvenirs we paid cash for, and whatever miscellany. I think we even changed money for someone in our group out of that.

And, did anyone tell you that you will have cell service for most of the LB trip? You might consider a SIM card for your voyage - cheap for data and not much more for voice.

You must be on a different route than I have been on! I had cell service maybe 2 or 3 of the 8 days we are not in port.

- Bill

We will be spending 10 fantastic days on the Blue Manta ( I hope). We know we will be pretty wiped out after 30 hours of flying, 40 hours of travel not to mention 14 time zones. Will hopefully arrive at around 4 pm and don't know if I will have brain power left to convert 15000 to 1 conversion rate! Wonder what the odds are that any one on SB being on our boat? As for cell service my phone will be on my dresser at home! I go on vacation to disconnect, dive a and spend time with the love of my life. We existed thousands of years without cell phones, 10 days will be nothing.....but that is just me. Tanks Bill and DeeDee (soon to be popping our liveaboard cherry)

We will be spending 10 fantastic days on the Blue Manta ( I hope). We know we will be pretty wiped out after 30 hours of flying, 40 hours of travel not to mention 14 time zones. Will hopefully arrive at around 4 pm and don't know if I will have brain power left to convert 15000 to 1 conversion rate! Wonder what the odds are that any one on SB being on our boat? As for cell service my phone will be on my dresser at home! I go on vacation to disconnect, dive a and spend time with the love of my life. We existed thousands of years without cell phones, 10 days will be nothing.....but that is just me. Tanks Bill and DeeDee (soon to be popping our liveaboard cherry)

Blue Manta has wifi! :p

Its an awesome boat and great crew. You'll have a great time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom