Need advice for new BP/Wing setup!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, using standard AL80 tank, no wetsuit with 6lb SS backplate, and as mentioned above 1.5lbs STA.

Isn’t Halcyon STA = 2.7 kg/ 6 lbs? Oops, sorry. That’s 6 lbs for the weight bar which can be inserted in the STA.

ok, here is my review of the Halcyon Eclipse 20lbs wing:

1. The backplate is very well formed, polished and smooth. To me the metal appears high quality.
2. The wing material is made of a highly durable 1000 Denier Nylon: in my case I chose red and the grey logo and I think it looks great. Sure stands out on the dive boat the :)
3. Though Halcyon describes the profile as long and narrow on their website, I can tell you the Apeks 18lbs is noticeable narrower, though longer.
4. The inflator hose is shorter than the vast majority of hoses I have seen: this is of course a good thing: when in horizontal position, it takes minimal effort to lift it and vent, though you likely will use the bottom dump valve.
5. Not in love with the weight pockets, these are fine, but I'd rather not have that area cluttered.
6. I used the trim pockets which fit onto the cam band: any weight here tips you backward more on the surface.
7. The cambands: the 2 bands are most certainly very secure once you get them on. I found I was fiddling a LOT with these, especially to get those Octogrip patches in the right location. So this was a bit of a pain when doing 4 dives a day. Might consider looking at other cam bands. Certainly the 2 bands keep the wing in rock solid stable position. So if I was on a liveaboard where you never the take the BCD off, I'd take these straps.
8. The wing has a zipper so you can access the bladder, which is a very thick and durable material.
9. After 31 dives, I can see the red color is faded a tiny bit: I understood ahead of time it will fade. \but it had to be red... :)
10. The harness is a very minimalistic approach and I found it very comfortable once adjusted. At this point I am going to NOT get the quick cinch, honestly do not think it is necessary.
11. The bolts that hold the backplate to the wing with the STA stick out very ominously. BUT.. amazingly you do NOT feel them under the water, this due to the curve in the plate. Even with flexing my back, could not feel them. So if you are worried about those, it;s ok!
12. 20lbs of lift: this is plenty for tropical dives, even with 3mil suit there is more than enough to lift me out of the water comfortably. Might get a bigger wing for cold water.
13. For those that are worried about being flipped onto your face on the surface: this will NOT happen if you have the stainless plate: it tips me backwards. Even with the AL plate, you can easily learn the simple skill of staying upright [ i had back inflate BCD before ].
14. I almost ordered the HOG setup. I happened to see one of these on a dive boat in August and I can say the advice i was given that the Halcyon is higher quality, is true.
15. Inflator hose: I would describe the inflation and venting as ROBUST. It does so very quickly. NO fuss.

So yes, these are more money, but I am satisfied with the setup. Would buy again.

Attachments

• halcyon eclipse on tank.jpeg
    halcyon eclipse on tank.jpeg
    40.1 KB · Views: 104
  • IMAG1497 (002).jpg
    IMAG1497 (002).jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 94
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom