Diver lost - Rockport, Massachusetts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You rarely ever get any details on diving accidents in Massachusetts.
I think the State Police keep it to themselves.

So many divers die up here due to entanglement. No knife or cutting tool.
I usually dive with 3 knives. Amount of lobster traps are ridiculous. Boating hazard.

They could save lives by publicizing this.

So many divers die up here due to entanglement. No knife or cutting tool.
I usually dive with 3 knives. Amount of lobster traps are ridiculous. Boating hazard.

Not to mention the entanglement hazard we're required to tow around every dive. I forget how much of a pain the dive flag is until I get a chance to dive without it. Task loading is a legitimate risk factor.

Sad thing is most boats ignore the Dive flag. Last time I dove rockport I surfaced and my flag was bouncing against a lobster boat. My wife had been yelling at him to stay away and we had a giant Dive flag from our boat. He just kept mouthing obscenities. It was witnessed from shore by police. We reported it and he was arrested. Judge let him off with suspended sentence. No fine.
Be careful over there. Don’t use heavy line on your flag. I tow mine well away from body.

Are we speculating or do we know he was entangled and by what?

So far we know nothing and probably, given the history of authority in this area, we won’t ever really know.

Several fatalities here have been entanglement, it’s a real hazard in this area.
We were just discussing that as a possibility

Given the fact that the body was found early in the morning the day after he went missing suggests that something kept him from drifting away overnight.
I have not been diving in this location for years. What are the entanglement hazards you mentioned? Lobster gear?

I am getting off topic here but it is estimated that one million lobster traps have been lost in the Gulf of Maine since the advent of plastic coated steel traps. They ghost fish far longer than the old wooden traps before falling apart and they leave behind all that plastic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom