Xtar D08 Walrus Corrosion Issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChyLn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I've had really good experiences with the D26 whale and own a few of them now. I've always wanted something with a bit wider coverage and thought the D08 Walrus may be a good fit for photo/video uses. So I bought one for a week of diving in Bonaire.

Initially I was quite excited with the light as it had fantastic, even coverage for photos and pretty good battery life. However, even on the first dive, I noticed that there was a bit of white, chalky residue forming along the edges of the light that worsened as the week went on. It was only something that I really noticed in salt water and seemed to be independent of the batteries as I was opening and charging the batteries each night without issues. I could see and hear a fizzing/bubbling going on during the dive and about 2 days from the end of the week, i was no longer able to open the battery compartment. I've attached pictures to show what the corrosion looks like. There are weird circular holes into the light that are probably 3-5mm deep that had formed and bits of the outside are flaking off. I have to say it's been a really sad experience for me and I'm currently trying to see if there's anything that can be done about it.

I found an older thread that looks similar but mine actually looks worse i think and it appears to be more associated with salt water rather than fresh. Any input that you guys have would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_2264.jpg
    IMG_2264.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_2265.jpg
    IMG_2265.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_2266.jpg
    IMG_2266.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_2263.jpg
    IMG_2263.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 322
stray current corrosion might be the culprit. lightly greasing the sealing surfaces can help.

most likely the one you have pictured is toast at this point. can see if you can get a replacement or at least a discount on a new one from where you bought it.

No issues at all with the d26 lights and they’ve each had 50+ dives on them. They were what convinced me to give the d08 a try... but alas.

Dave Campbell I saw that ad as well while researching the issue and scoffed. It was under water for less than two dives before the first of the residue started coming up.

I’m talking with the seller to see if there’s anything that can be done.

No issues at all with the d26 lights and they’ve each had 50+ dives on them. They were what convinced me to give the d08 a try... but alas.

Dave Campbell I saw that ad as well while researching the issue and scoffed. It was under water for less than two dives before the first of the residue started coming up.

I’m talking with the seller to see if there’s anything that can be done.
I'm a member over at the budgetlightforum.com and have sent a sales rep a link to this thread...perhaps they'll have something to say?

Thanks Dave! Let me know if you hear anything from them.

That's a bit concerning as I just bought a walrus too :(

Fwiw, I had the same issue with a big blue light. Their HQ sent me a new light, no questions asked, after I wrote to them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom