Mistakes on first "real" dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m assuming you were doing one of the charters out of Milwaukee? I’d like to know which one so I can avoid it! I’m in the Chicago area and haven’t hit any of the Milwaukee wrecks yet. Done plenty down here.

Which wrecks?

Did the DM expect everyone to follow him?

What do you refer to as “pre-dive checks?” Great Lakes boats are a different animal than those in tropical places. Great Lakes boats generally don’t babysit you. They give varying amounts of help depending on the charter op. They generally drop you on a wreck and then you’re on your own.

Divers on the Lakes generally know you need a safety stop, etc. They don’t expect to be led
about by the nose by a DM. Why wouldn’t you put your gear together before the boat left? Opportunity to do it before the boat starts rocking on the Lake!
Yeah, that's been my experience on charters in the ocean/Gulf of Mex. -- Pre dive checks are up to you & buddy, not crew. I have not actually seen a duo do the "official" (PADI BWRAF, whatever) check except of course in classes. I do a cursory one with a boat buddy. Well, there was one time. During Rescue course our instructor pointed out 2 other divers doing the "official" check and advised us to keep an eye on them because they're probably very new.
It's been a while, but I can't recall crew advising people on safety stops. Again, diver's responsibility.
As for very first dive's problems-- Had tank slip. Bought Apollo Bio Tank Lock and never happened again (I'm not fooling around with wetting straps, cinching tight enough to bust a gut, buying a 2-strap BC.
Also, used tables-- having only been down 50+feet for maybe 3 minutes (rest of dive at 20') and figured I'd now die with a pressure group of about minus ZZZZ.

I check my equiptment before putting it on my back for a recreational dive
Air on
8 breaths primary
5 breath backup
Inflate bcd till vemts and pull all dumps. Then i put it on my back deploy long hose as a check and inflate deflate drysuit.

^^ after this i know i am ready. If my buddy wants to do a full buddy check then ok if they dont want to buddy check i know i am good and can save him if i need to.

Safety stops are different. With Padi tables only if you get within 3 groups of ndl you have to perform safety stop but also it is not required as you are doing no decompression diving. My dive comouter does not tell me to do a safety stop and will onky tell me to stop if i have a deco liability.

If you want a buddy check ask for one. If you are diving a non standard setup then tell someone. "I am diving a long hose in the event of an ooa i will deploy it like so and go onto by necklaced backup" or "i do not have any deployable weights i have a cutting device on my waist if you need to get me out of my harness just cut me out"

This is the first time I've heard of a scenario that explains why Advance Open Water might be a good choice immediately after OW. Generally, I have felt that getting a little experience between OW and AOW is a good thing. Getting some knowledge and practice before AOW would allow the student to focus on learning new skills instead of struggling with refining existing things like buoyancy, equalization, trim, and such. Additionally, having a little experience provides a great foundation for asking useful questions and exploring specific shortcomings. Before then, you don't know what you don't know.

However, in this case, the OP was traveling solo on a 'hands-off' type of dive boat. Sure, they would have probably helped if they knew he was inexperienced. However, having an instructor nearby the whole time, someone to answer questions and provide guidance, would have really helped make these dives more successful and enjoyable.

The AOW 'boat dive' would have been perfect on this trip, helping the student learn how the boat runs, what to expect on board, when to setup gear and how to work with a buddy.

I would recommend to check your buddy alternate source because this is what is probably the most important for you in case of emergency :)

Perosnally, I just check my buddy without asking his opinion and ask the buddy if he wants to do the same. If insure you can ask the dive master/instructor to check you if you feel like it (for example if you are unfamiliar with some rental equipment)

(I have only 20 dives so feel free to correct me)

Every diver is different - and every dive operator

I recently was scolded by a DM for taking my mask off my face (all the way off - not on top of my head) when I surfaced. I ignored him the first few times assuming he would leave me alone eventually - what he did not know was that I was wearing a prescription mask - the optics are such that they are perfect when my face is in the water and useless/confusing when I am above water. Once I explained that to him, he apologized and we enjoyed the rest of our dives that week.

Lesson to be learned - for me - don't assume DM's are just being self-important and jerky - he wasn't - he was just trying to teach me a lesson I knew but could not implement due to some physical impairments

Lesson for him - don't assume that folks are stupid/breaking rules without getting all the facts. If he'd simply have asked me why I was taking my mask off, I'd have told him - have tripped too many times getting back on dive boats to leave that mask on

I've not come up with a better solution than the prescription dive mask - I like being able to see my guages too well to give up my mask

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom