Safety margin of backplate/ wing if drysuit floods or other problems ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Exactly, you shouldn't use a suit to control buoyancy. Just enough gas to keep from getting squeezed, and to keep air in the undergarments for insulation. An overfilled dry suit is a recipe for a feet first uncontrolled ascent! :)

I cringe every time someone mentions using the suit for buoyancy. As a dry suit diver, you should be able to manage the dry suit and the wing.

I am currently reading a lot of stuff in relation for GUE Fundamentals. One aspect that seems important is to make sure that the wing avoids having excessive lift...

As an aside, the above is why you should check with a GUE instructor before settling on the wing and tank you want to use if you take Fundamentals. The usual wing that's recommended for a single tank for GUE is a donut wing with 30 lbs of lift. For doubles, the same with 40 lbs of lift.

Getting out of the water is where the real fun begins. it happened to my wife on a shore dive and we had break her down and doff the suit in the water. Having witnessed her situation I can't imagine getting up into a boat wearing a truly flooded suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom