Pros and cons of various compasses ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One compass consideration that I wasn't expecting:

I dive mostly in cold water. Drysuit and multiple layers underneath makes bending your arm to align the compass lubber line an issue for me if I wear it on my wrist. I also have a wrist slate that also takes up the spot on my left wrist every now and then.

I have a Perdix AI on my right wrist but dislike hitting buttons (lubber line is still an issue) with thick gloves on to operate the compass (unless I am acknowledging an alert) so opted for the non DIR Suunto Sk8 on a retractor.

It seems to me that you could remark your own lubber line to match your arm angle but didn't bother putting much thought into that.

Just my two cents as a newer diver.

Note for clarity: my drysuit has cuff rings for wrist seal quick replacement. This puts all wrist options a little further up onto what is technically my forearm. I wear my dive computer directly on top of my right wrist cuff ring.

One compass consideration that I wasn't expecting:

I dive mostly in cold water. Drysuit and multiple layers underneath makes bending your arm to align the compass lubber line an issue for me if I wear it on my wrist. I also have a wrist slate that also takes up the spot on my left wrist every now and then.

I have a Perdix AI on my right wrist but dislike hitting buttons (lubber line is still an issue) with thick gloves on to operate the compass (unless I am acknowledging an alert) so opted for the non DIR Suunto Sk8 on a retractor.

It seems to me that you could remark your own lubber line to match your arm angle but didn't bother putting much thought into that.

Just my two cents as a newer diver.

Note for clarity: my drysuit has cuff rings for wrist seal quick replacement. This puts all wrist options a little further up onto what is technically my forearm. I wear my dive computer directly on top of my right wrist cuff ring.

The reason I like to use the side window is that you don't have to set north to the point on the bezzel and keep it there while you use a lubber line. The window always shows you the direction (degree bearing) you are heading. I doesn't matter where the north is set or where the lubber line is. The number of degrees is the direction you are traveling.

Way the heck simpler to me I don't need to keep two things in line (N at point or double point and the lubber) while looking out to a point to swim to. I just need to look at the reading and look straight ahead and pick a point.

Doesn’t matter which one as long as it’s on a bungee. I wish someone told me to get bungee instead of a strap before I got mine...

Also don’t mount it beside your computer.. see too many divers do this.
Why do you prefer the bungee over strap?

Why do you prefer the bungee over strap?
Generally speaking:
1) bungee are faster to don and doff with different types of wet and dry suits
2) If appropriately routed, the bungee gives a "strap redundancy" meaning that if one breaks, the other one saves the instruments - this do not applies with standard straps
3) bungee are less prone to wear than most straps and, in case, they are far more cheaper
4) bungee can be obtained in different colors, usually straps do not. This greatly improves the safety :wink:

Generally speaking:
1) bungee are faster to don and doff with different types of wet and dry suits
2) If appropriately routed, the bungee gives a "strap redundancy" meaning that if one breaks, the other one saves the instruments - this do not applies with standard straps
3) bungee are less prone to wear than most straps and, in case, they are far more cheaper
4) bungee can be obtained in different colors, usually straps do not. This greatly improves the safety :wink:
And also much easier to put on with 5mm or dry gloves

The reason I like to use the side window is that you don't have to set north to the point on the bezzel and keep it there while you use a lubber line. The window always shows you the direction (degree bearing) you are heading. I doesn't matter where the north is set or where the lubber line is. The number of degrees is the direction you are traveling.

Way the heck simpler to me I don't need to keep two things in line (N at point or double point and the lubber) while looking out to a point to swim to. I just need to look at the reading and look straight ahead and pick a point.

Fair enough but that window doesn't make it any easier in my situation. (lots of layers and a drysuit plus position on lower forearm). Also can't rely on picking a point ahead because in most of my dives the vis totally blows. The only thing ahead is particulate or a jellyfish most days and everything else you have to be right on top of to use as a nav point (and by then you have already arrived).

Totally see how what you say works though. If vis is good enough to pick a spot in the near distance I always just take a quick bearing like you say (from my compass on a retracter).

Back
Top Bottom