Do dive shops let you put vindicator valves on rental tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it would be a reasonable purchase for your personal gear. But as the owner of a tank, I would rapidly get pissed at someone other than me, was taking a screwdriver to my nice, not yet stripped valve. I had to call for a tow truck the other day because some mechanic stripped two of the lug nuts from my wheel. You may think nothing of it, but they aren’t your tanks. And the the other guys that stripped the slot probably thought it was no big deal either.

Personally, I very anally check that the air is full on and breath off the rega test the power inflator. But that is just me....

My ass can crack walnuts, of course air sharing and regulator swapping become a lot more interesting.....

So does sharing walnuts on the boat....

This whole idea of boat crew checking and turning your valves as you enter the water seems incredibly bizarre to me. I've never seen even a hint of such a thing, and hope never to either!

This whole idea of boat crew checking and turning your valves as you enter the water seems incredibly bizarre to me. I've never seen even a hint of such a thing, and hope never to either!

Your observation does not mean that this behaviour does not exist.

For those of us that dive in the Caribbean or Indo Pacific, I assure you that it’s SOP.

I like the larger and longer size of the valve knobs as they are easier to reach and manipulate.... color is a bonus.

to each their own...

Diving back-mount doubles, I can not fathom the pie-in-the-sky benifit of color-cued knobs that I can't see under water. I don't care what color is showing as I can't see them. I just know I need to be able to manipulate them in the appropriate direction depending on the situation.
As I explained above, the benefit is more on the surface. When others may want to mess with your gear. Especially after you've done your final checks.

Actually, though - any opportunity to see a something that would otherwise be invisible is a benefit. I'm fairly certain I've read stories about people having drowned with closed valves but full tanks of air strapped to them. Unless I'm just mistaken about that, I don't think you can reasonably say it's not a problem or even that it's a small problem.

It's an easy solution, and other than costing you $20 there are no drawbacks to using them that I'm aware of.

With regard to that, I was trying to research the 2016 Orange Grove fatality, which I believe was a sidemount diver who was found with one full tank with the valve closed. Wasn't able to find a conclusive report...

As I explained above, the benefit is more on the surface. When others may want to mess with your gear. Especially after you've done your final checks.

Actually, though - any opportunity to see a something that would otherwise be invisible is a benefit. I'm fairly certain I've read stories about people having drowned with closed valves but full tanks of air strapped to them. Unless I'm just mistaken about that, I don't think you can reasonably say it's not a problem or even that it's a small problem.

It's an easy solution, and other than costing you $20 there are no drawbacks to using them that I'm aware of.

I don't care.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom