Don't help?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That "talking to yourself" while gearing up may be a good point. My wife says I do it a lot anyway.

She may be like Mrs Flush and just mean that she isn't listening to you

This was posted on Thursday. Now it's Sunday, no video yet? FFS, @Akimbo, get a grip,man!:surrender:

I'll speak to my production and casting departments. :laughrant:

Seriously, it is a bit awkward to explain. Commercial divers usually dress on a rectangular wooden bench with no back and positioned so the tender can walk all around them. The procedure also works standing or with the diver sitting a recreational dive boat bench and having them rotate about 45°.
  • Option 1 (most comfortable for most divers): Tender stands a little behind the diver on the side they are putting the glove on, and facing the same direction
    • Diver bends their elbow and presses their upper arm/elbow against the tender's thigh, or gut if the diver is standing
    • Diver's forearm is parallel to the deck with the thumb pointing up
  • Option 2: Have the diver is seated and points their arm straight up (tender can stand in front facing the diver)
  • The tender grabs the palm and back sides of the glove opening, positions it over the hand, and pulls back (option 1) or down (options 2).
  • Repeat on the other hand
It is a lot faster than it sounds. You never feel the need to press the glove down between fingers or twist it.

The diver needs something solid to "backstop" themselves against or the tender will easily knock them over. Having two hands pulling on a wet glove dramatically reduces the binding that happens when you pull one side at a time. Also, lot more force can be applied with less wear and tear on the glove. Hope all this makes sense.

Interesting post to say the least.
Unfortunately I always need help pulling my wetsuit zipper up. Yes, I have a drysuit with front zipper. But when in a wetsuit, I don't seem to have mastered pulling the zipper up without it getting caught 1/2 way up. Perhaps someone can help my poor soul.

I often have some sort of a limp going (bad knees/sciatica) which often result in offers of help.

The “not nice” situations are when I’m frustrated about something and swearing a blue streak. Depending on the specifics, I may or may not accept help! :wink:
Nothing to worry here as it has been shown to be audible from a far, very safe distance away and one is forewarned to maybe keep that distance for a while...:D

I have a predive routine. I stair at my gear on the bench and do a full check then i put it on do anothe full check then do my buddy check/start drill i dont normally need help though i did when i had a back entry drysuit. I do jot mind people talking or asking questions just not during the 3 checks i am doing. Distract me and i am starting the check again. Touch my valve and i am turning my tank off purging my air then repressurising and starting the check again.

The most frequent thing I need help with is getting my BCD straps over my shoulders without them getting twisted and folding under. Sometimes someone notices and fixes it for me. I don't mind. Sometimes I ask for help. Sometimes I just struggle until I get it straightened out.

When I see a folded strap on someone else, I usually state that their strap is folded and reach to fix it. I expect them to tell me if they don't want me to touch it. I never had anyone tell me not to help with this.

Except for that, I don't want people touching my gear and I don't touch other people's gear without asking if they want help and getting a response from them.

The only time I would consider touching other people's gear without asking, is when they leave pieces of their gear all over the place and it's in my way or becomes a trip hazard to others.

I don't mind saying, "Your reg hose is caught under your tank" or "your shoulder strap is twisted all up." If they want assistance, they'll say, "Thanks. Can you fix it for me?" If they just grunt or don't ask for assistance, then I go on my way.

No issues that way.

As far as myself, if I want assistance, I'll ask. I've checked all my gear prior to assembly and checked it after I've gotten it on, and checked it again seconds before going over. If there's something askew, I'll know without having to be told. Me and my posse are pretty much "same ocean, same day" buddies and we're pretty thorough in self pre-dive checks.

On exit, my mask is on my forehead (regardless about what PADI told you was the "international symbol for distress") and my fins clip on to the carabiner on my weight belt, and I tie my speargun to the tagline so I can pull it up after I get back on the boat, so I don't need a "hand it up guy" at the top of the ladder.

99% of the time I wouldn't mind. There's always the safety nazi or the guy who gets down to the coast to dive twice a year but knows everything there is to know about diving who will inform me that my tank is too high and I'm gonna bump my head, and then proceeds to "fix it for me" and I have to tell him to leave it alone....I like it that way and I mount it high intentionally. I don't even like the DM checking my air. I checked it on assembly, I checked it to record my starting PSI, and I checked it by breathing thru the reg right before I went over. I don't want my valve turned 1/4 back, I'm an "all the way open" guy and I resent some dive boat crew kid "doing it for me" without asking.

I'm not a "don't tucha my stuff" guy, I'm more of a "Don't alter my stuff" guy.

The last guy who tried to "help", I got off the boat and then realized I forgot to grab my speargun out of the barrel. As I turned around to get back on the boat and mumbled to myself that I forgot my speargun, he "helped" me and grabbed it out of the barrel to hand it to me on the dock. The rubber slings on two of the pole spears in the barrel were tangled around the butt of my gun and they went overboard when he yanked my gun out of the barrel.

I didn't care, but the two guys who owned the pole spears weren't happy. As far as I know those pole spears are still in 16 feet of water at the dock and I think his kindness cost him two new $48 pole spears.

If I see someone that looks like they can use some help, then I'll offer. It is up to them to say yes or no. If I see someone that is doing something totally strange, I may approach them and ask them to explain why they are doing something in a certain manner. I may learn something new that can help me out. If I see them doing something totally wrong, I'll try to politely correct the situation without being obnoxious about it. 99% of the time it works out great.

Back
Top Bottom