• Computer / tablet / smart phone, etc.

Votes: 48 38.4%
  • Both

Votes: 50 40.0%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, even with a backup, digital can be lost. I suppose I could lose my "firebox" of important papers as well as my log books. If I have something important on my laptop I back it up on TWO flash drives (is that what you call them?) and also print it out for a paper backup. Talk about OCD.

You call it OCD, I call it good planning...

With the Perdix App, everything is downloaded straight from your dive computer to the app on your phone and it goes to the Perdix Cloud, where you can find all your data in case something happens to your phone...
But still, I prefer to have also the physical copy...

I keep electronic logs. And no, I am not the least bit worried about losing them.
First, there's nothing in those logs that would harm me in the least if I lost them.
Second, I'm sort of anal about backups. I keep copies of important files on my desktop and on at least one laptop. Plus I have a backup drive. Plus I keep a copy of important files on a server that's physically half way across the country from me. And that gets backed up daily. So if my house exploded and destroyed all of my personal computers, I could still recover my important files.

I've written about this before, however.

I exclusively use electronic. I download, fill in the details use it to keep my gear and cards in order etc. That's it

My friend uses paper. They can flick through it and see the stamps for dive centres, see the occasional signature of friends now lost. The paper log can trigger memories in a way the electronic one can't

A bit like the old photo album where you looked at teh pictures, where as now we take them on our phones etc and rarely view them again

I’m fully electronic.

Computer to phone via Bluetooth
Phone to PC via WiFi
PC to Cloud

I can do the first step when I’m at the site. Add site info, tank size, notes etc.

Full electronic. I don't use Shearwater cloud but MacDive.
Then I back up the material on redundant systems (hard drive, cloud...). But I do that for all my electronic stuff.
Works for me.:)

All digital. Logs get downloaded to MacDive on my computer, iPhone, or iPad...whichever is easier when I am ready to fill in the details. This data is synced to iCloud and made available to all my devices. I could lose the phone and the computer and restore my dive history in minutes.

Both.
Paper logs
And also sync my petrel to subsurface and also back up to divelogs.de

Fully electonic here, too. I download to Subsurface on my desktop, fill in location, buddies, notes, and any other pertinant info, then save to my hard drive. Then save them to the cloud and sync them to my phone. I'm not worried about losing them.

I have thousands of dives and very long ago stopped saving every detail. Now I just use excel spreadsheets to record place/date. Got a page for just my international travel dives, that’s the only interesting one for me these days.
If I want to check my profile on a particular Dive I will upload but rarely save.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom