Advantages of “integrated” AI computer and back-up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Primary Source: Full function “rugged” AI console computer (via hose) with Bluetooth connectivity for both setup, dive profile downloads and RF communication for data sharing with the secondary.

Secondary
: Wrist mounted watch and (read only) dive data display from primary. This wrist mounted secondary would be compact and would present full function data at a good price point. (This easy day-use wear watch would be the divers primary interface.)

Would you like something like this?

(On 2nd thought) Still no, but I'd settle for the hose-mounted transmitter that flashes green, yellow, or red dep. on tank pressure, and a wrist computer. Oh, wait...

(On 2nd thought) Still no, but I'd settle for the hose-mounted transmitter that flashes green, yellow, or red dep. on tank pressure, and a wrist computer. Oh, wait...
Ratio makes a neoprene cover for the transmitter so nobody can see your color:)

If it's on a console-length hose, I could tuck in my speedos and if anyone asks: tell them I'm happy to see the reef and all the fishies. Hmm... possibilities abound. I could route a miflex hose under the suit down my back and up...

And by backup wrist computer I really meant you should shove those extra computer(s) into one of your poodle jacket pockets.

I put my extra computers in my right pocket since my dive light is in my left pocket. Along with my backup camera. I reserve the extra space in my right pocket for storage of my mask and primary computer between dives. If I have to grab my gear and go (Whaleshark!) them everything is already in my BCD.

And no my computers are not AI.

I do the same with my backup but I shove it in the trim pocket when vacation diving. I don't need any trim weights for the configuration I use in warm water so it makes it easy. :) I'll also never forget it, though I do pop it out and change the nitrox setting every dive so I also double check and ensure that it's there, well, and not angry at me for anything.

We have Suunto D4i Novo with transmitters and we have Aqualung guages so we can still look at gauges as a backup

2 identical wireless AI computers both synced to the same transmitter. The primary is on my right wrist and the backup is on a retractor inside a BCD pocket. I carry a mini SPG not much larger than a half dollar on a thin HP hose neatly tucked behind my BCD and clipped off on a lower D ring using one of those rubber octo holders, so I can see it if necessary without unclipping it.

I also carry an extra tank transmitter in my spare parts bag along with several batteries, the battery cover tool, o-rings and silicone grease.

I've always retained my SPG's on my gear. Primarily because I can't be bothered to search for the port plugs :wink: but also because when I set up my gear I just want to crack the cylinder and check the contents.

My WAI is secondary. It sits on my wrist and is the primary display I use on the dive for convenience (and for data tracking on my logs) but thats it

I'm happy to dive without my transmitters (and do so when I'm teaching so I can set a good example of checking my SPG to students)

A spare computer goes diving with me just in case, but so far by observing careful maintenance (checking batteries and charge before each dive day) and keeping an eye out for irregularities (pressure sensors tend to glitch before they fail outright) I've not had a computer go south on a trip.

PDC's like other dive gear are mostly simple, often gear issues I see posted on the forum could have been prevented by the merest of pre-dive (or pre trip) gear checks

If it's on a console-length hose, I could tuck in my speedos and if anyone asks: tell them I'm happy to see the reef and all the fishies. Hmm... possibilities abound. I could route a miflex hose under the suit down my back and up...

make sure to shave before you do that or the hose will do it for you :p

> All AI and non-AI watches are large/ bulky, and don’t lend themselves to every-day wear.

Incorrect, Suunto had been making WAI dive watches for more than a decade. The problem with them is they are too small to read easily.

Here is the real issue - there are many divers out there who do Tec dives but perhaps not a regular basis to justify the cost of two computers. So many, myself included use a primary computer which may be WAI, for a backup have a SPG and a simple dive watch with cut tables. The simple dive watch can be worn when out of the watch.

The main problem with dive computer is cost. They are made in limited quantities so there is a fine balance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom