Brand new OW diver - PADI or GUE to progress?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to be clear, I sincerely hope you do not judge all divers who got some or all of their training from GUE by that one guy.

Not to put too fine a point on it, isn't it hammered into us over and over to dive within our training? :wink:

That was us in December 2017...how things can change...:wink: so fast...

What happened out of curiosity ?
I know Advanced and Nitrox is happening and they are certain deep can and drift is easy to get there supposedly.

Just to be clear, I sincerely hope you do not judge all divers who got some or all of their training from GUE by that one guy.

I definitely do not. But, it does make me have an inclination towards thinking that if someone is strictly GUE, they might be a restricted in the way they can dive as he is. However, I don't pre-judge. Each person gets judged on their own merits. :)

I definitely do not. But, it does make me have an inclination towards thinking that if someone is strictly GUE, they might be a restricted in the way they can dive as he is. However, I don't pre-judge. Each person gets judged on their own merits. :)

Let's rephrase that.

If someone is GUE Trained, and follows their training, they might be restrained in the way that they *Choose* to dive as he is.

:)

That's reassuring.

Still, nothing makes someone "strictly GUE" except that individual's own free will. If someone announces he strictly dives only within the parameters of what GUE taught him, that's just his decision. Unless he's an instructor, GUE does not require him to dive that way.

Edit: John posted while I was typing. But I'm glad to see I have the right idea!

"Sure, it would be easy enough for him to figure out how to plan a dive using M-D and other than Standard Gases - and "more modern" GFs. But, that is all well outside his training. Not hard, but not how he was trained."

"That open water diver, it would be easy enough for her to figure out how to plan a dive going deeper than 60 feet, but all that is well outside her training. Not hard, but not how she was trained."

/drama starter

:D

Based on my experience, always using the same gas (Or one of a very small number of gases) makes it easier to remember all the limits for a dive. Changing gases every dive just ends up with people remembering the details for the wrong dive.
Again, its one of the great things about the GUE system, it enables you to be lazy, as you just *know* what is going on, rather than having to try and remember.

The deeper the dive, and the more gases required, the higher the risk of issues with unique gas choices for each dive.

Thanks
John
I'm all for standard gasses as then it makes logistic easier. While deep dives require even more gasses, that's where I stop (200 feet) until I get a rebreather, as the cost of helium is just too great. But that's for technical diving.

Using the example provided earlier, not being able to do a recreational dive with a nonstandard EAN30 mix, I feel that there is something deficient in someone's learning (note I did not say training) to be able to adapt to such a simple dive

"Sure, it would be easy enough for him to figure out how to plan a dive using M-D and other than Standard Gases - and "more modern" GFs. But, that is all well outside his training. Not hard, but not how he was trained."

"That open water diver, it would be easy enough for her to figure out how to plan a dive going deeper than 60 feet, but all that is well outside her training. Not hard, but not how she was trained."

/drama starter

:D

Not a drama starter but rather a good question! In the case of what Stuart said, the diver is trained to do a dive of that level, just not trained using the same tools Stuart uses. So when Stuart said "well outside his training," it referred to the tools, not how challenging the dive would be relative to the diver's training and experience. He's trained for that kind of dive, just not with the same tools. He is functioning on a high enough level that he can readily learn new tools without exceeding his training and experience. (Don't read into this too broadly--there are certain tools that would generally require some formal training.)

Not a drama starter but rather a good question! In the case of what Stuart said, the diver is trained to do a dive of that level, just not trained using the same tools Stuart uses. So when Stuart said "well outside his training," it referred to the tools, not how challenging the dive would be relative to the diver's training and experience. He's trained for that kind of dive, just not with the same tools. He is functioning on a high enough level that he can readily learn new tools without exceeding his training and experience. (Don't read into this too broadly--there are certain tools that would generally require some formal training.)

I was gonna say, I would certainly get training before i.e. doing a 40-foot dive with a drysuit!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom