Equalization question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had one instructor early on to never use the nose pinch and blow method on ascension. Does anybody have an explanation why that would be different? Is it related to a reverse block?
I believe there is a typo in your sentence that is interfering with my understanding of your meaning and makes me hesitant to respond.

I believe there is a typo in your sentence that is interfering with my understanding of your meaning and makes me hesitant to respond.
Was supposed to say, had an instructor early on who told me to never use the nose pinch and blow equalization technique on ascent

When I first started diving I had some ET issues. I learned to push air into my middle ear but it took quite a bit of work to get it to escape. With regular practice I no longer need to actively equalize on ascent.

I expect the Dr. will give a good explanation of why you would't use the "pinch & blow" method on ascent but my guess is that it us doing the opposite of what you need to have happen. You need to release air from the middle ear as it expands on ascent, not push more in.

I expect the Dr. will give a good explanation of why you would't use the "pinch & blow" method on ascent but my guess is that it us doing the opposite of what you need to have happen. You need to release air from the middle ear as it expands on ascent, not push more in.
That would be my guess as well. You will be pushing air into the middle air while the air that is already there is expanding.

Doing the opposite can help--pinching the nose and while doing an inhalation maneuver.

The doctor says that you are correct! That's why techniques that reduce the pressure in the nasopharynx are helpful on ascent (like the Toynbee maneuver, where you pinch your nose and swallow).

In some cases when the standard techniques don't work, gently alternating maneuvers that push air up the ET to the middle ear cleft (like Valsalva) with those that pull air out of the ear (like Toynbee) is sometimes helpful if you have a really locked up ear, even with a reverse block.

A good rule of thumb is not to do anything that causes pain, and not to let the pressure gradient get too big. If you are ascending and you can't equalize, don't keep going in hopes that the gas will eventually force its way out of the middle ear. Slow down, or even descend a few feet and try equalizing again. The idea is to equalize early and often, especially if you have problems with this.

Take a look at this list, there are actually a lot of ways to equalize your ears, some can even be done without needing a hand to pinch the nose.

Equalizing the mask has been a part of the PADI OW course written content as long as I can remember, certainly as long as I have been teaching (14 years). It is rarely emphasized in training because it happens so naturally. All you have to do is exhale a tiny bit through the nose, and most people do that without intending anyway. For many people, the trick is to stop them from doing it as much as they do.
Yes--on rare occasions I MAY exhale through my nose. Can't figure why I'd get water in the mask in like one out of 20 dives.
Having assisted maybe 10 instructors in the past, I can't recall anyone mentioning mask equalizing to a class. Unless it was mentioned in the classroom or maybe just in passing at the pool.

Having assisted maybe 10 instructors in the past, I can't recall anyone mentioning mask equalizing to a class. Unless it was mentioned in the classroom or maybe just in passing at the pool.
It's mentioned in the classroom work, but there is no big deal about it. As has been said, for 99% of divers, they do it without being told to.

I never need to equalize on accent, my older son is one of the lucky few that don't need to do anything to equalize going down, it just happens for him.

It probably has something to with him not being able to hear anything I say other than "food"

I have a son with the same hearing issue! He also seems to hear the word CASH or any of its synonyms.

I have fairly dysfunctional ETs that came on as I got older. Now I have to equalize both on descent and ascent. For ascent it is a jutting/stretching of the jaw like a closed mouth yawn to get them to crack open. I even have to do this when driving in the mountains or through a tunnel. I envy those with functional ETs!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom