SP Jet fin foot pocket repair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Update - I dove my repaired Jets over a period of 10 days in Cancun and they worked perfectly with no issues.

What glue did you use for this? I have a pair of used Jets that are de-bonding slightly where the strap anchor meets the fin...right above the buckle area. Aquaseal? Wetsuit cement? I've tried 3M contact cement, but it didn't adhere.

I used the McNett contact cement to bond the strap to the foot pocket. Then I used Aqua Seal to make an abrasion patch on the bottoms of each fin over the straps. The only thing the contact cement really does is hold the straps in place. I put another 20 dives on those fins this year in Cancun and they are still working well.

I used the McNett contact cement to bond the strap to the foot pocket. Then I used Aqua Seal to make an abrasion patch on the bottoms of each fin over the straps. The only thing the contact cement really does is hold the straps in place. I put another 20 dives on those fins this year in Cancun and they are still working well.
Thank you! I'll give the aquaseal a try.

You can see in the first picture the tear that I started with. I sewed a loop of nylon webbing and cemented it to the foot pocket. I also cemented an additional strip in front of the loop to reinforce the tear. I tested it a little in the shop and I think that this will hold.

I'd be interested in any opinions on the work.

I have two questions for you (actually one but multi-part): Did your repair hold up underwater/pressure (and maybe in saltwater if you tested it)? If so, which specific glue did you use? I'm trying to get reflective tape to adhere to my fins and can't find a suitable adhesive that holds...

FYI, Northeast Scuba Supply has jets on special for $39 right now. You could get a replacement pair for when your repair fails in about 25 years.

I have two questions for you (actually one but multi-part): Did your repair hold up underwater/pressure (and maybe in saltwater if you tested it)? If so, which specific glue did you use? I'm trying to get reflective tape to adhere to my fins and can't find a suitable adhesive that holds...

The repair is still functioning fine. The webbing straps take the load from the rubber. Water pressure has absolutely nothing to do with the integrity of the repair. I have about 40 saltwater dives on them since the repairs were made. As a bonus, my fins are easy to identify.

The repair is still functioning fine. The webbing straps take the load from the rubber. Water pressure has absolutely nothing to do with the integrity of the repair. I have about 40 saltwater dives on them since the repairs were made. As a bonus, my fins are easy to identify.

Thanks for the info very interesting to see it holds well! My main question was about the specific glue you used, do you remember which one it was?

The foot pocket on my old set of jets is starting to tear at the top of the arch. Has anyone ever successfully repaired a foot pocket? If so, what did you use? I have a shoe repair department and aqua seal at my disposal but I thought I would ask before I try to reinvent the wheel.

These are made in USA pre-lightning bolt Jets and I am unsure of their age.

I used a 1 1/4" strip of an old inner tube on the inside, starting from the left, bottom, up the side, across the top, and down the other side and glued it with contact cement. I glued another, shorter strip on top of the tear. It seems to be very strong and looks like it will hold up and the foot should hold it in place, but so far nobody wants to dive with it when there are other, perfectly good fins to use.

I've never seen the Lightnings tear.

Thanks for the info very interesting to see it holds well! My main question was about the specific glue you used, do you remember which one it was?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom