2 week Philippines dive trip in February

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bballnut90

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've researched this board and bit and want to say how incredible it is to have so much information at my fingertips...only problem is narrowing down locations of where to go. I'm planning to trek out to Cebu in mid February and should have 12 full days in the country, I'd like to dive at least 8-9 of them. I have my AOW and would be going with my friend who has is OW but will get obtaining his AOW on this trip.

Thinking of diving in 2 spots, top priority is getting a combination of great pelagic life, schooling fish, and beautiful reefs. Ideally we'll be able to find a place with good snorkeling right from shore too...not a top priority though.

Here were my initial thoughts:
1. Malapascua--definitely want to go here. Threshers would be incredible to see, and it sounds like there is at least 4 days worth of diving here and it has exactly what I'm looking for. Probably will do this to end the trip.

2. Moalboal, Balicasag or Calibao...my initial thought was Moalboal to see the sardines since I love schooling fish, but after reading reviews it sounds like it might not be the best spot to go with the influx of tourists/overcrowded reefs. Saw some pictures here from Balicasag that had some incredible schools of fish. Anyone here any input here if this would be the best option of the 3? Or would it be easy enough to combine Balicasag and Calibao over a 6 day period since they're relatively close to each other?

3. Southern Leyte...seems like a great spot that's a bit off the grid but it might be a bit difficult to get to. Not a ton of info about this area either. Anyone with first hand experience here?

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Threashers every morning at 5 am boat departure. I used Thresher Shark Divers because they have their own mooring on Moad shoal. It means less divers in the water, less bubbles, less divers stirring up the bottom. The day diving is Ok too.

Fast ferry, 6 am, from Cebu City to Maasin, S Leyte. Peter's resort was really nice and friendly. They arranged pick up and drop off from the ferry. Not sure if it's whale shark season when you are there. Mid May whale sharks were gone for me. Great reef diving, and macro if you request. Don't miss the night dive under the jetty in town.
Karl.jpg

You chose exactly where I would recommend. Moalboal is great, and has Sardines right off the coast, and also Pescador Island which is great. I'd highly reccommend Magic Island Dive Resort for a place to stay there.

Malapascua is a beautiful island and the Threshers and Mantas are not to be missed. Exotic Dive Resort is great, and the dive shop is run by a great couple, that run a great show and also are good fun after the dive also.

Leyte I've heard some good things about yet have not visited yet.

1. Thresher shark is unbelievable.
2. I prefer Moalboal over Balicasag or Cabilao. The school of sardine is to be seen to believe.
3. Southern Leyte is highly recommended. Feb is whaleshark season.
Linking up Malapascua, Moalboal and Southern Leyte is doable in 12 days as long as there is minimum of back tracking. Suitable ferry schedule is crucial to reduce unnecessary overnighting in Cebu City. Cokaliong Shipping has more or less daily overnight departure from Maasin(22:00 or 00:00) to Cebu City Pier 1(04:00 or 06:00).
Ferry Schedule from Leyte to Cebu City - Schedule.ph

Port of entry to Southern Leyte from Manila is Tacloban.

The OP should contact Peter's for advice on ferry schedule. I have looked at Weesam's schedule between Maasin and Cebu City and it is NOT running everyday at the moment!

Happy trip.

Thanks a ton for the tips everyone...this is great info. I went ahead and booked flights, looks like I may be able to squeeze in an extra day or two so I might try to fit in Balicasag, Moalboal and Malapascua. Here's my (very) tentative itinerary:
Feb 24th-land and transit to Bohol
Feb 25th-28th, dive Balicasag for 4 days
March 1st-3rd, transit to Moalboal, dive 2 days there
March 4th-9th, transit to Malapascua, dive 3-4 days there
March 9th, commute back to Cebu, fly out on the 10th.

Is that squeezing in too much? Not sure when I'll ever be back here so wanting to see all 3 spots if possible. Also have funds to rent a van to go to Moalboal or Malapascua if that'll save us significant time compared to taking a bus.

Three stops is too much , checking in , out , arranging payments and onward transfers all take ages in the Philippines. Plus Malapascua is too nice to only spend 4 nights there. You could in theory get from Cebu to Leyte the day you arrive and then with an early ferry from Leyte to Cebu and a private transfer get to Malapascua in one long day. Don’t rent a van , just hire a taxi.

We have dived in all of the areas you are considering and we liked them very much , but Southern Leyte is the best of all.

Where ever you go you will have a wonderful time !

If I have to cover few places I will make sure I go to the furthest first and leave the easy one at the end as long as it does not cause any inconvenience eg back tracking.
As far as I know there is NO public transport available between Balicasag and the outside world. You have to arrange your own, Alona Beach is the most common jumping off place, or through the resort at Balicasag. Check it with your operator.

If I have to cover few places I will make sure I go to the furthest first and leave the easy one at the end as long as it does not cause any inconvenience eg back tracking.
As far as I know there is NO public transport available between Balicasag and the outside world. You have to arrange your own, Alona Beach is the most common jumping off place, or through the resort at Balicasag. Check it with your operator.

Thank you! Planning to stay in Alona Beach and then dive with an operator out in Balicasag each day since it sounds like the resort out there is pretty run down.

I'll do some more research, but will likely plan to spend 4 days in Alona Beach, then commute up to Malapascua and decide there if we want to stay the whole time or if we'd like to squeeze in the sardines too. Thanks for all of the tips everyone.

I am booked to go to Cebu myself in December. I have most of trip booked in Moalboal but also 4 days in Cebu City and have the opportunity to do 2 days diving from there. I was thinking Mactan island would be best, does anyone have any dive site or dive shop recommendations for staying in Cebu City?. Thanks.

You can dive in Malapascua in the morning, especially the early morning Threshers dive. Then get private transfer to Cebu City in the afternoon.

Alona beach is really busy and touristy. I did land tours to see Chocolate Hills and Tarsiers. Didn't dive there, not my cup of tea, too many people.

"I was thinking Mactan island would be best, does anyone have any dive site or dive shop recommendations for staying in Cebu City?"

Cebu City is very large city, Mactan Island is part of the city. Cebu International Airport is on Mactan Island. The island is full of luxury hotels.
I always used Cebu City as the base on the way to and from diving.

Back
Top Bottom