Anti free flow device

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tbone mentioned it above, most likely it is the second stage. After reading through the post regarding three free flows with her and no issues with you I suspect it is her breathing pattern. One of our local divers has made two different regulators free flow, yet, another has used one of the regulators under the ice with no issues. What we have determined is the first diver's breathing pattern is too fast and shallow rather than slow and deep. In my experience diving in cold water mountain lakes the second stage gives out before the first stage.

On further note, we have found Hollis regs do not hold up well in cold water. Those up here who had one got rid of it.

On the breathing pattern, the quick inhales aren't usually the culprit in my experience, it's quick exhales. You want to exhale as long and slow as you can which helps to warm the barrels back up and minimize ice formation which leads to things sticking

I will let the wife know about breathing correctly and see if that makes a difference also to not bother with any gizmos. Thanks for the advice.

Also, is she warm? If the temp is making her uncomfortable it may be contributing to faster breathing.
She is most definitely cold on all her dives no matter how much thermal protection including dry suit. She suffers from Raynards and this causes her problems and makes her cold she then often dislocates her jaw due to the weight of the reg in her mouth. She's a battler but suffers for it.

I am sure there are a few here (from Scandinavia) who can give better advice but as a first shot.
[1]
If you are using your equipment in cold water.

1. Don't leave the regulators in the car overnight. Ideally, don't leave cylinders in the cold overnight either..
2. Keep the regulators dry prior to use. (Use good air - dry).
3. When testing kit before entering the water, don't exhale through the regulator. (The condensation freezes).
4. Once you start breathing from a regulator, don't remove it from your mouth. (see condensation freezing).
5. Breath normally and steadily when in the water.
6. Add gas for buoyancy control in small amounts.
7. Don't use a second stage for DSMB inflation - if you do short burst of the purge valve, not long bursts).
8. Makes sure your regulators are in good operational condition. Properly serviced, no leaks, or slow dribbling of gas from the second stages.

Most regulators will cope with cold water (a proper cold water regulator is better, with an environmental kit)[1]. Travel regulators are often not designed for water below 5C.
It is the drop in gas pressure that causes the icing. High volume's of gas passing through the first stage increase icing risks. So heavy purging of a regulator is a bad idea (DSMB), holding the inflate button down, high breathing rate. Two people breathing off the same first stage is bad news, especially in high stress periods such as a rescue when breathing rates are increased.
The big issue is first stage failure. If the second stage fails, the increased gas flow normally results in quick icing of the first stage and failure of the first stage. Fitting a shut off device would allow you to stop a second stage failure. If done quick enough it would stop the first stage failing. However. if the first stage fails, the second stage acts as the emergency pressure relieve.

Gareth

[1] - I still use Poseidon Cyclon's on my bailout cylinders. They are not environmentally sealed and are more than happy in very cold water.

I don’t think that’s a good idea. You don’t want high pressure to build up in your hoses. Get cold water diving certified. I’d rather have a free flow than an explosion or clogged hose. Keep the refs and tanks dry and not left out there so the water dew gets your gears wet. Don’t expose them to warm cold environments as the moisture can get in easily. Which is the main cause for freezing.

Back
Top Bottom