Painting Gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EvaFin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, I want to paint my gloves white to make it easier for people to see my hand signals in lower vis (I was up in green water at 5m vis and I found hand signals against the chest don't work without a torch). I've seen that mares and cress do some 3mm gloves with white stripe but ideally I want to do my 5mm (and don't want to have to buy a new pair). Does anyone have any recommendations for good white dive paint which would go on the neoprene but also on the rubber coating on the palm. Recommendations just for the neoprene would be great but if anyone also has something for the rubber that would be so fantastic.

Tl;dr: looking for recommendations for painting the rubber palm and neoprene on my gloves white.

Thanks so much.

Hi, I want to paint my gloves white to make it easier for people to see my hand signals in lower vis (I was up in green water at 5m vis and I found hand signals against the chest don't work without a torch). I've seen that mares and cress do some 3mm gloves with white stripe but ideally I want to do my 5mm (and don't want to have to buy a new pair). Does anyone have any recommendations for good white dive paint which would go on the neoprene but also on the rubber coating on the palm. Recommendations just for the neoprene would be great but if anyone also has something for the rubber that would be so fantastic.

Tl;dr: looking for recommendations for painting the rubber palm and neoprene on my gloves white.

Thanks so much.

I've never painted a wetsuit but many years ago, while painting the shower in a camper, I brushed up against the wet paint with my sweatshirt. After becoming my "work shirt" it endured a lot of abuse plus a great many machine washings and the paint was still there. I used a very high quality, exterior latex paint. My guess is that it would hold up well on nylon-covered neoprene, especially if you are not too concerned with appearance. You could always touch them up once-in-a-while, if needed. BTW the shower held up too, but didn't see quite as much use as the sweatshirt.

BTW white is not recommended on many shark dives, just in case you might have any of those planned :wink:

I've never painted a wetsuit but many years ago, while painting the shower in a camper, I brushed up against the wet paint with my sweatshirt. After becoming my "work shirt" it endured a lot of abuse plus a great many machine washings and the paint was still there. I used a very high quality, exterior latex paint. My guess is that it would hold up well on nylon-covered neoprene, especially if you are not too concerned with appearance. You could always touch them up once-in-a-while, if needed. BTW the shower held up too, but didn't see quite as much use as the sweatshirt.

BTW white is not recommended on many shark dives, just in case you might have any of those planned :wink:

Thanks so much for letting me know about the shark dives. Don't really do them (kind of a wreck junkie) but really good to know. And thanks for the recommendation too of course.

81FBTofDfGL._SL1500_.jpg

Personally, I'd just put on some cheap white gloves. Put them over the top of your dive gloves if you want dive gloves for warmth.

Here's an example: https://www.amazon.com/10Pairs-Jewe...8&qid=1535459439&sr=8-6&keywords=white+gloves 80 cents a pair. If one of them tears or gets stained, into the garbage or recycle bin it goes.

I don't like the feel of dried paint on cloth, so IMO painting black gloves would be a bad solution.

Several very light coats of spray (can) enamel paint would probably do the trick. With very fine misting, you end up with lots of tiny paint dots stuck to the surface rather than a heavy layer. That allows better flex and reduces the chance of peeling. Touch up is also easy.

Several very light coats of spray (can) enamel paint would probably do the trick. With very fine misting, you end up with lots of tiny paint dots stuck to the surface rather than a heavy layer. That allows better flex and reduces the chance of peeling. Touch up is also easy.

That sounds ideal, thank-you so much. Have you tried it yourself at all?

Back
Top Bottom