Bali diving is better than I thought

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, Tulamben faces directly out to sea so the boats are all small "shore boats" that get pulled up onto the beach at night. For a couple days diving a boat isn't really worth it, more than enough to see diving from shore.

Anilao, sure, there is a lot of site variety that you need a boat to reach but Tulamben is better for shore diving because what you want to see is mostly close in to shore. Like D.Farmer said, you don't find dedicated resort boats, it's more like "Hey, go see if Ketut is back from fishing so he can take these folks out!". Pretty rare to have much real wave action and for sure LDR guides are incredibly helpful for getting you in and out of the water.

I bet next time you go back it'll be for more than 2 days! Have a great time. // ww

We are in tulamben for 3 days.
Our typical day start with early morning diving at the wreck including the slope.
The second and third dive of the day will be muck / macro, I let my guide to choose.
All shore diving.
The entry point for the wreck is 30 m from our room.

Just got back from two days diving in Tulamben and it was fantastic! Such a great experience to have dives of that quality and variety along one stretch of shore.

The staff at the resort we stayed at in Tulamben said tourism had suffered somewhat with the volcano/earthquakes however the dive shop said they were as busy as ever so who knows. There were plenty of divers at all the sights we went to but, having never been before, I have nothing to compare it to. Tulamben seemed pretty empty when we went out for dinner.

I love tulamben too ,and having lunch at 3 meters from the entry point to the wreck.

IMG_20180828_141850.jpg

IMG_20180826_144245.jpg

Are the temp fluctuations you folks are describing for Padang Bai area, equally true in the month of December?

Are the temp fluctuations you folks are describing for Padang Bai area, equally true in the month of December?
Not so much in Dec, starts to warm up by Nov. But.. can still get colder days, but not like Aug/Sept

Speaking of the big, rare & wonderful, a question for those who dove plenty of times in Padangbai, have anyone seen the spotted wobbegong shark (the Australian kind with straight tail & fewer tassels, not the Raja Ampat kind with curly tail & lots of tassels) in Tanjung Sari?

I have tried to find it there about 2-3 times and still no luck. :( I read about it in “diving bali”, written by David Pickell & Wally Siagian, ISBN 978-0-7946-0600-8, 2010 Edition. Below is the picture of the wobbegong from p.124-125 of the book. I highly recommend anyone to read the book before diving in Bali by the way.

View attachment 464056

It’s called Teppichhai wobbegong by J KI in his YouTube, below

Well, I finally saw 2 today (5 years later) but they are not in Padangbai. Forgot to put battery into my video light so, I didn't get a good footage (see below). I'll come back tomorrow with working video light.

Back
Top Bottom