Confused with what my LDS is directing me towards?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You ever dive with i3? I have 500 dives with it. It works.

@MichaelMc I really didn't think that people would switch things up all that often (teaching aside), but figured I would ask. Thanks for posting the link to the Hydros Pro BCD, I just saw a video on that and it looks pretty impressive. I will check out your link when I'm done posting here.

Good idea on using a carry bag for stuff that will allow you to easily ditch it.

@soggybadger I like your idea of buying used, however being so knew to the hobby I wouldn't know what was potentially wrong with something. Okay £5 wouldn't have me loosing sleep if it turned out the item was shite, but aside from that it would really be like lamb to the slaughter.

@Hoag So I'm wondering if I should skip the jacket, and just start off with the back inflate for now? It kind of falls in the middle and will give me some time to better hone my skills as a diver, without worrying about the nuances of a BP/W?

@helgo Crap I like hearing that your Halcyon tips you backwards at the surface. Was it a weighting thing, or just the way this device is designed? One more thing to read before bed tonight. LOL......

@Marie13 I get your point about it being a gimmick, but isn't the selling feature of this that it doesn't matter what position you are in, it will deflate without you have to be facing up and down? As a new diver still trying to get buoyancy under control, I can see that being a good selling point? However I do see the point that people are making about your dive buddy possibly being confused should a problem arise.

My uneducated comment would be, wasn't everything at one point new? I'm guessing that from the masses this won't be one of those things that will become standard, so perhaps it would be best to avoid?

All I know is that I thought getting a good fitting wetsuit was hard, the rest of the kit is just about killing me!! Hahahahaha......

Go straight to back inflate. My original BCD was a poodle jacket. I really liked it but eventually knew that back inflate was the thing to do. From the very first dive on my back inflate BCD (scubapro ladyhawk), I knew it was the right thing to do. Yes, had some struggles on the surface the first few dives but eventually it was all second nature to ride the surface in it without tipping forward.

I don't know what the situation is in the states for buying scuba gear on eBay and such like but in the UK there are loads of very cheap hardly used items. People buy kit on holiday and then never use it again then it gets sold in often mint condition (to me) for pennies. Never had a problem with any of the four bc's that I have bought used. Still have the Mares that I got for £40 five years ago with eight dives on it and its still mint. As with all scuba gear you need to get things serviced when you buy used so need to calculate that into your purchase price. Another option would be to buy a bcd that is surplus to requirements from someone on the board and if it turns out to be a duff one you can roast the nads off them on here :wink:

@Hoag So I'm wondering if I should skip the jacket, and just start off with the back inflate for now? It kind of falls in the middle and will give me some time to better hone my skills as a diver, without worrying about the nuances of a BP/W?
Personally, I like the Back Inflate BCDs. They are not perfect, but IMHO, they do offer a very good compromise that has the potential to last a long time.

If I were doing it all over again today, I would probably start off with a back inflate BCD.

I don't know what the situation is in the states for buying scuba gear on eBay and such like but in the UK there are loads of very cheap hardly used items. People buy kit on holiday and then never use it again then it gets sold in often mint condition (to me) for pennies. Never had a problem with any of the four bc's that I have bought used. Still have the Mares that I got for £40 five years ago with eight dives on it and its still mint. As with all scuba gear you need to get things serviced when you buy used so need to calculate that into your purchase price. Another option would be to buy a bcd that is surplus to requirements from someone on the board and if it turns out to be a duff one you can roast the nads off them on here :wink:
This is a very viable option for some people for sure. There is literally tons of gear sitting in garages and in storage units idle. It can be had many times for pennies on the dollar or even free.
I know a guy who never bought a new BC in his life. he just bought used stuff for cheap. He didn't even so much care what it was as long as it worked, and they all did. Every few years he’d get something else and make it work.
That philosophy can be applied to any and all scuba gear.

Just to add one more point since it has been mentioned a few times as well..........the BP/W does hold some interesting (mainly from the near horizontal position you get whilst in the water and how easy it appears to be), but my issues is more at the surface. Yes I'm sure this point has been beaten to death as well about feeling like you are being pushed face first into the water so I'm not trying to bring that point up again, but more from the point of me likely doing a lot of shore diving and making it easier for me to get to my destination, coupled with a bad back and not wanting to struggle at the surface.

Hahaha. This brings back memories. My first dive shop (now out of business) used to tell me, "Don't get a BP/W! It will push your face in the water!"

It just isn't true. If you lean forward at the surface, it will push your face into the water. But if you just lean back, you'll float vertically at the surface.

Not sure how a jacket style BCD is better for shore diving and getting to your destination. Have you mentioned this to the dive shop you are buying gear from? I've been working with a new member of my scuba club (www.suci.ca). She has a bad back. When we do a shore dive she has a little cart (folds up to fit in her car). Assembly everything at the car, put it in the cart, wheel it over to the entry point. Put all her gear on, do the buddy check then go diving. BCD or BP/W, might be a good option for you.

John-
Business is business and the reality of business is that, one way or another, you have to make a profit to stay IN business. I don't know how many dive shops I have listed in my log book that went out of business, including some big mail order houses like New England Divers.

So to stay in business, it helps to keep long-term happy customers, yes. The CEO of LLBean was interviewed and asked about that, and said something that if they lost $100 on a bogus warranty claim, but that kept a customer for 40 years, it was a lot cheaper than the cost of getting new customers. Long term, that can be great business, although most shops are in it to churn the rubes and make as much as they can in the short term.

Then you've got business problems like "If you buy 100 I can give you a better price." so the shop has to buy volume and choose a limited number of lines to stock. Or another line may require a franchise, an exclusive territory. Or not allow their good to be advertised below MSRP.

Or a shop may simply feel "This is reasonably good and we can make a buck with it" and sell you that product. All valid issues. Which logic your shop has chosen, and why they are selling those goods? Maybe they think it is the best product for you, maybe not. It is hard to earn a living in SCUBA unless you've got something unique, or a lot of tourists to serve.

A good reason to ask around, and see how others think that gear works for *you*.

I agree with others above, at least get a back inflate BCD, if you don't get a backplate / wing. I would advise against a jacket style.

Back
Top Bottom