Latex socks under wetsuit boots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Virtus_Semper

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Having developed Raynaud's, I am trying to think of ways to keep my feet warmer when diving wet - I currently have 6.5mm dive boots that fit well, but water does seep in quickly through the bottom of the zip. I've tried Scubapro's zipless boots but although the length was fine they were pretty roomy and I ended up with quite a lot of water inside, even though the water was slower getting in. I've got some short Thermocline socks that help a bit.

I was wondering if I should try wearing latex swim socks underneath the boots in an attempt to keep my feet drier - the kind people wear whilst swimming to prevent or avoid catching verrucas…?
E.g. https://www.newitts.com/speedo-swim-socks?utm_source=Product+Page&utm_medium=www&utm_campaign=Product+Recommendations&utm_content=1493#product-reviews

Can anyone think of a downside I've not realised? Or could anyone recommend anything else for me to try?
I've heard "waterproof" running socks just fill with water but as these are supposed to be used for swimming...?

Thanks in advance!

Latex socks won’t do much. What you really want are 2mm neoprene socks.

Frankly, if being cold is such a problem, you might have to consider moving to a drysuit.

Thank you both. Definitely something to think about for the future, but I just wondered if there was anything that could help me get through my rescue course assessment weekend that's coming up soon, in conditions a lot colder than I'd usually dive. Will look for some neoprene socks!

it031673.jpg

I'm inclined to agree that the latex swim socks you mention (above) are unlikely to meet your requirements. Did you know, however, that some dive stores stock thicker latex "drysocks" with seals at the top to be worn in conjunction with suits:
s-l500.jpg

As demonstrated in the video below, they form a watertight seal against the calf and ordinary socks can be worn underneath. They can be used to convert drysuits with latex ankle seals into drysuits providing full foot coverage when required.

A poster named Badger had this to say in a stand up paddle forum:

I have Reynaud's Syndrome. My hands get cold very easily even in summer. I still paddle surf and flatwater all winter. Here's what helps.

This is if you're wearing neoprene gloves or mitts. Before you leave the house fill a one gallon plastic jug with hot water. It will stay warm for quite a while. Just before you launch, pour the warm water into your gloves/mitts and put them on while they are full of the warm water. As long as you are wearing the right thickness of neoprene for the conditions, your hands should stay warm. Same goes for your boots.

The best option would be to wear something thicker under your current boots. Like other recommended, the 2mm socks. The problem with what you're looking at is all it will do is keep your foot dry. There is zero warmth or anything added, so it does nothing. Your blood still gets cold, you need to shield more from the coldwater. If you had a sock under that, then it would be dry, and a warm barrier. If you are going to stay wet, you need more insulation. If going dry, you also have to add something that will warm it up, latex is think, and the water is on the other side.

Stick your hand in a ziplock bag, and put it in cold water. Your hand is dry, but still cold :wink: Put your hand in a glove, then ziplock and water, and it's now warm.

hope that helps. Yes, it might be time for a drysuit, if you are just trying to get thru the weekend, some neoprene socks will help, as well as what Trace recommended with hot water. You can add some more as needed inbetween dives if you have it in a thermos.

My daughter (16 year old) has it too. I can only say I am waiting for her body to stabilize, and then she will be going dry and a FFM if she wishes to continue diving the Great Lakes....

I'd suggest more neoprene as the solution to more insulation, the other liners will do nothing. Not much else is likely to solve the issue. In our case, her lips and exposed facial area also swell.....

Yeah, not great news....

My daughter (16 year old) has it too. I can only say I am waiting for her body to stabilize, and then she will be going dry and a FFM if she wishes to continue diving the Great Lakes....

I'd suggest more neoprene as the solution to more insulation, the other liners will do nothing. Not much else is likely to solve the issue. In our case, her lips and exposed facial area also swell.....

Yeah, not great news....

What are her dimensions? I have a few 2XS/XS Aqualung Fusions I'm looking to get rid of for $600. Might be a solid choice and something that will fit her a few years or more.

Back
Top Bottom