Which semi-dry is the warmest? (Hollis vs Waterproof vs ?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is directly proportional to how much and how often you can pee.

Also currently looking at a semi-dry...

Aqualung SolAfx is what my LDS stocks, however its hard to look past the Hollis Noetek as it has pockets and compress resistant neoprene (is that just marketing?). Does anyone have experience with both of these products? Reading forums suggests that the Noetek zip is an inferior design? In terms of price its $99 more for the Noetek (65 USD), so not much in it really.

I have the Hollis Neotek and I am very happy with it. Been in 35 degree water and was comfortable.

Depth and time would be helpful in a statement like that. 35 degree water, at 5 feet, for 2 minutes is not as impressive as 35 degrees at 120 feet for an hour.... :D

I have the the SolAfx, and hands down, my most favoritest wetsuit I've owned.

Aqualung SolAfx is what my LDS stocks, however its hard to look past the Hollis Noetek as it has pockets and compress resistant neoprene (is that just marketing?). Does anyone have experience with both of these products? Reading forums suggests that the Noetek zip is an inferior design? In terms of price its $99 more for the Noetek (65 USD), so not much in it really.

Anyone have experience with hendrsons semi dry? It's on clearance right now for short change.
I can't tell if it's lacking any thing over something higher priced

I don’t own but looking at the neotek for Vancouver bc diving. I run warm and with a rash guard hope to be ok.

It is hard to tell what is marketing. But the Aqualung touts itself as super-stretch neoprene which, by definition, is the most compressible and therefore coldest at depth neoprene. It is also the easiest to don, so consider what is important for you. Perhaps this is why it is 8/7, thicker than the others, to make up the difference, but I don't think that will help if you are going below 80'.

The hollis looks like a good suit for the price. If they "advertise" less compressible neoprene do what you can to verify the brand of neoprene (yamamoto? some other?) so you can investigate.

I have a Waterproof 3 mil and 5 mil suit. In my experience, these are significantly warmer than any super-stretch suit (I also have the Bare reactive 3 mil and there is no comparison). I do believe the Waterproof uses much less compressible neoprene, which is why they have to use anatomical (pre-bent) design on the knee and elbow joints, and so many seams, and offer so many sizes, as they don't stretch to cover a wide variety of anatomies as does super-stretch.

The zipper on my old Mares Isotherm 6.5 just failed. If the cost to replace is excessive, I am going to invest in the Waterproof Combat SD, hands down.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom