new/old vintage BP-because Orange! How old?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

An important feature of this packs is that the plastic is a lot more flexible than the one used by US Divers in their contour packs. The US Divers packs were very brittle and would crack very easily.

Just gently laying the tank down on top of the pack would easily crack it. The weight of the tank was enough to crack the pack at the bottom.

I guess I won't be using it for travel after all :wink:

These are also extremely comfortable backpacks.
This is the entire reason I became obsessed with the back pack design and started making my own. The way they hug your body and are contoured to fit correctly plus the way the shoulder straps come out of the top of the pack and hug your traps is the best and most comfortable/stable ever produced.
IMO, the original concept of the back pack is the best design ever created.

The new doubles style flat plate that everyone rages about nowdays is a very sub optimal design IMO.
But they’re easy to make and some brands can be bought cheap.
People think the modern BP/W is some brand new cutting edge concept, it’s not.
I think it’s somewhat of a warped evolution.

This is the entire reason I became obsessed with the back pack design and started making my own. The way they hug your body and are contoured to fit correctly plus the way the shoulder straps come out of the top of the pack and hug your traps is the best and most comfortable/stable ever produced.
IMO, the original concept of the back pack is the best design ever created.

The new doubles style flat plate that everyone rages about nowdays is a very sub optimal design IMO.
But they’re easy to make and some brands can be bought cheap.
People think the modern BP/W is some brand new cutting edge concept, it’s not.
I think it’s somewhat of a warped evolution.
After trying on both I could not agree more, for single tank diving. People forget that the whole back plate thing was really about doubles. A big wide plate is not that comfortable when you don’t need it. In fact sorry to say this Eric but the reason I got really excited about my $10 orange plastic back pack is that I thought it could be a reasonable substitute for your aluminum Freedom contour which I would like to get someday ;-)

We seem to be going in circles.
I agree. Some things circle back around, but I suspect the big companies who originally made this stuff will not be circling back around making modernized versions of their original back packs any time soon. Poodle jackets seem to be here to stay. Sorry about the bad news.
It’s going to be up to us DIY’ers to do what WE want, and to be our own trend setters.

To answer Sam's question ref "Did White Stag retail in the UK" sadly no probably too much competition from French and Spanish manufacturers.
The leading agent for "US Divers" was "Midland Diving Equipment" (MDE) base in Leicestershire also marketed their own brand of "bacpak" in a sturdy "diver proof" plastic in various colours similar to the "White Stag" but lacking the top moulded carry feature.

john68
MDE (2).JPG MDE (5).jpg MDE (10).jpg MDE (11).jpg MDE.JPG1.jpg

I agree. Some things circle back around, but I suspect the big companies who originally made this stuff will not be circling back around making modernized versions of their original back packs any time soon. Poodle jackets seem to be here to stay. Sorry about the bad news.
It’s going to be up to us DIY’ers to do what WE want, and to be our own trend setters.
You forging steel and aluminum plates in your home workshop, @JamesBon92007 screwing a snorkle vest onto a plate, me scrounging the used shelf at ancient an scuba shop? Yeah no, we are not the target market LOL!

Now I just need to find the right material to make some weight pocket holders, something like this:

410718-3d55dccefc5f21e9e666a7a3d5563383.jpg

I already have the $4 pockets from China and they will hold up to about 10 lbs each. They already have Velcro and side-release buckles and if installed upside-down should be fairly easy to dump, if needed. The material I need must be rigid, flexible, unbreakable, waterproof, and easy to shape. Some kind of heavy-duty plastic could work but most stuff seems to be made out of crappy plastic. Fiberglas would work but might defeat the "I'm saving my money for dive boats on Cozumel" philosophy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom