Best crap 40 USD Go Pro clone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Kharon Thank you for all the useful links and info. I'm putting together a package of camera+ accessories. I see the battery charger is $13-44. I'm assuming the battery can be charged in the camera housing? If so, is there a down side to in camera charging? How long does the charge last? Additionally, I cannot find a replacement battery for less than $19. Have you found a battery for a more reasonable price.

TIA

Couv

I just charge my batteries in the camera. Less stuff to drag on a trip. I get about 2 hours on a battery but I usually don't push it. I'll use one battery on two dives and then use the second battery for two more. Then I charge them in the evening. I'll do three dives on each battery but not sure if I'd do four.

I bought mine for $18. Looks like you can get them direct from ActiveOn for $15 - sometime soon (what ever that means). It looks like Adorama (LeisurePro partner) has them for $18.

Rechargeable Battery - ACTIVEON

ACTIVEON Rechargeable Battery

One thing I forgot. For night dives I bought this light:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MA6AF4J/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

700 lumens and you can put it on the knuckle mount and then mount the camera above. I used it on Bonaire (in the vid - sleeping parrot and the tarpon). I found it worth the money.

ActiveOn Battery Update. I ordered one from Adorama yesterday and today got an email that they are on backorder. Also unavailable from Amazon and other sources.

I've had this happen with other products. It has something to do with production run cycles. I imagine it will clear up - hopefully soon, though I have two, so I'm good.

@Kharon ......one more question (for now.) I'm about to hit the purchase button; I'm thinking about getting one for my son who likes to take stills above water. How suitable is the camera for that? He does have a decent Nikon he takes for planned events; but he always carries a small camera in his lunch box "just in case." His old camera recently suffered from a sudden downpour.

@Kharon ......one more question (for now.) I'm about to hit the purchase button; I'm thinking about getting one for my son who likes to take stills above water. How suitable is the camera for that? He does have a decent Nikon he takes for planned events; but he always carries a small camera in his lunch box "just in case." His old camera recently suffered from a sudden downpour.

If by "likes to take stills above water" you mean that he has the bug of photography (for example he knows the basics such as the relationship between exposure times - aperture size etc i.e. he uses modes other than auto) then a web cam will only help him to realize how limited they are and move to a real camera as soon as possible :)
Yes action cams are good for fun, make some selfies, few videos or snaps here and there but no matter how good they are they can't compare to a real camera. First thing I did after my first diving trip with a web cam was to look for a real camera. Now the only use I have for my web cam is for my daughter (5 years old) to record her snorkeling sections etc

Like @stepfen said, they don't have all the bells and whistles. But, they are tiny and easy to take along and take good (IMO) point-and-shoot pictures.

upload_2018-8-18_8-43-44.jpeg

Is it hard to find red filters for this type of camera.

I have the SJ7000 and it's pretty decent. The main issue is camera movement but I'm getting better at keeping it still. I shoot only at 720@60fps and that looks the best to me. I can get about 45 minutes of video with one charge. The battery charges in the camera. If you take out the battery you need to re-set the date. I was getting some glare so I painted the inside of the housing black. I also removed the clear port and replaced it with a red filter. I bought another housing on eBay for $4 that still has the clear housing. I was getting reflections on the filter when it was in front of the port. I have had it down to about 90' with no leaks. I forgot to latch it once and jumped off the boat. I latched it underwater. It did not leak--the water pressure held it just fine. I have removed the control buttons on the housing and lubed them with some silicone grease. One time the on/off button got stuck. For still shots I just grab a frame from the video. It takes lousy still shots. The sound quality is very poor above water, out of the housing. It's just fine if all you want is bubble sounds. Someday I may spend thousands of $$$ on a really good camera, but for me there is not a lot inbetween. I made a tray that holds two lights so I can shoot with artificial light but I have the red-filter housing on top of one of the lights so I can shoot available light, filtered video with a second camera.

SJ7000 Waterproof Sport Video Camcorder - $37.77 Free Shipping|GearBest.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom