Poaching diver feared dead - Cape Town, South Africa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Authorities claim he was lost in a boat collision while rioters claim they shot him, leading to riots and arson.

Tensions remain high in Hout Bay as missing 'poacher' is feared dead
Family and friends of a missing diver held hands in prayer on Monday‚ a day after violent protests in Hout Bay over his apparent death while poaching in Cape Town.

Deurick van Blerk‚ 25‚ is presumed dead after disappearing overboard during a clash with an anti-poaching patrol at sea in the early hours of Saturday morning.

Two other divers from Hangberg in Hout Bay were arrested during the altercation and are currently in custody.

Angry Hangberg residents accused fisheries compliance officers of shooting Van Blerk. It is the latest in a series of violent confrontations between law enforcers and community fishermen‚ many of whom survive off poaching abalone and West Coast rock lobster.

Unhappiness over the latest clash led to community members ransacking sections of Hout Bay harbour‚ including the harbourmaster’s office‚ on Sunday.

Edward van Blerk‚ father of the missing diver‚ was among a group of residents waiting on the harbour slipway for police divers to return from their search on Monday. He told TimesLIVE that he needed clarity on what had happened out at sea: “I am just a father who has lost a son. I just want his body‚” he said. “I don’t have anything against anybody.”

However‚ several other community members criticised government authorities for targeting poachers‚ who they claimed were forced to operate illegally due to being excluded from the formal fishing rights allocation process.

Khoisan rights activists added their support for the community and the family of the missing diver. “It was his aboriginal right to go into the sea‚” said community leader Tanyan Gradwell.

By midday on Monday‚ police and community members were still waiting on the slipway‚ with the search expected to last for a few hours. Tourist buses continued to operate‚ while curious onlookers watched from an adjoining coffee shop.

Some local business operators said they feared further violent protests‚ should the police search prove futile.

The Department of Agriculture‚ Forestry and Fisheries said on Monday that all stakeholders who used Hout Bay harbour for their commercial fishing landings - such as the Hake Longline Association‚ the Tuna Association and the Pelagic Fishing Industry Association - were advised to divert their landings to Cape Town harbour.

“This decision is due to the current unrest and volatile situation in Hout Bay harbour‚” said the department.

Poaching is South Africa is a massive problem and crippling to the environment. Overall good result IMO

Gotta laugh at aboriginal rights of a van Blerk...

Gotta laugh at aboriginal rights of a van Blerk...

That was my first reaction also, obviously a last name that was "imported" sometime in the relatively recent history of SA. But I poked around on the internet, and it seems this could be a situation of a native family that acquired an imported last name. So the "aboriginal" claim could have some merit.

That was my first reaction also, obviously a last name that was "imported" sometime in the relatively recent history of SA. But I poked around on the internet, and it seems this could be a situation of a native family that acquired an imported last name. So the "aboriginal" claim could have some merit.

I'm a true blue Ozzie mate, I know how it works. :D I strongly suspect there is some merit to the claim that local villagers are "poaching" only because they, shall we say couldn't afford enough lobbying, when it came to allocation of fishing rights, too... The phrase still reads funny though.

I'm a true blue Ozzie mate, I know how it works. :D I strongly suspect there is some merit to the claim that local villagers are "poaching" only because they, shall we say couldn't afford enough lobbying, when it came to allocation of fishing rights, too... The phrase still reads funny though.

Too many people, myself included, have never thought about "poaching" in this context. I am enlightened, thank you.

Too many people, myself included, have never thought about "poaching" in this context.

I'm afraid I have this medical condition:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom