BOV with MAV and/or ADV - thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know several instructors who DO use BOVs - I guess it’s a matter of who you know! :)

Also a matter of your group. And how you define "few" and "several" Kate hangs with the GUE crowd. I think they are part of the BOV camp. I personally don't need that crutch. Ymmv.

I take it that is loop hanger? I like it! How much?

I'm using a standard BC hanger for a loop hanger. Put the loop over the center of the hanger and the lungs hang off the nubs on the bottom. Works really well

71l7%2Bqy9pFL._SL1500_.jpg

Yes, read my other posts in this thread and you'll understand why I believe a bov is a solution to a problem being solved late.

Yes, read my other posts in this thread and you'll understand why I believe a bov is a solution to a problem being solved late.

one of the better arguments I have heard for keeping one is that if you have REALLY long scooter exits and have to bailout, it's more comfortable to stay on the loop for the exit. Allows you easier management of loop volume as well as the benefit of not having a loop trying to float around for the entire exit

Sure, but this:

The reason I don’t think you need a BOV is because I think you should be so attuned to what’s going on in your loop, that if you even suspect the most minor of circumstances, you should already have bailed out to offboard gas.

Doesn't seem to indicate it's a “crutch.”

I like having open circuit gas a quarter turn away. You may be more comfortable putting it further away, say on a bungee or even further stowed on the tank. These are personal choices, not “crutches.”

Actually more of my instructor friends are not GUE than are.

Why so snarky with the “crutch” comment?

Also a matter of your group. And how you define "few" and "several" Kate hangs with the GUE crowd. I think they are part of the BOV camp. I personally don't need that crutch. Ymmv.

one of the better arguments I have heard for keeping one is that if you have REALLY long scooter exits and have to bailout, it's more comfortable to stay on the loop for the exit. Allows you easier management of loop volume as well as the benefit of not having a loop trying to float around for the entire exit

I'll give you that. But, the trade-off is mouth fatigue on the way in with high flow, high speed scooter.

Actually more of my instructor friends are not GUE than are.

Why so snarky with the “crutch” comment?

Lol, did you forget who you're talking to?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom