Buying first computer Suunto Zoop, Cressi Giotto, or Oceanic Geo 2.0 ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Melanie White

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am buying all mine and my husbands gear.
I am down to computers, safety sausages, and lights, and pointer rattles.
Right now we have decided to start with cheaper computers then we can upgrade.
So I think we have narrowed it down to these three.
Which one is the best of these?
Suunto Zoop
Cressi Giotto
Oceanic Geo 2.0

Thanks

I love the Geo but the interface can be difficult. There is an online class on the DiveNav website that is welll worth the $8.

Hi @Melanie White

You may prefer the choice of DSAT or PZ+ deco algorithm of the Geo 2 over Suunto or Cressi versions of RGBM. There are many threads discussing this topic already on SB

After diving Oceanic Pro Plus, Pro Plus 2 and VT3, I find the Geo 2 interface extremely straightforward. Perhaps it's all relative.

Good luck in your shopping

Edit: The Geo 2 is still on sale for 20% off, $280. You will also need a cable to download to your computer if you want to

Last edited:
Last year's model Aqua Lung i300 (no bluetooth) is still available from LeisurePro for $175. That's probably the best bang for the buck ATM unless you're specifically after Geo's "watch size" and DSAT algorithm.

I have Geo 2, and pleased with it. There are some online demos that can walk you through it. It's not that bad especially for under $300.

Geo 2 takes just a little to get used to the menu navigation, but it is pretty straightforward. Very happy with mine. Really enjoy the watch size.

I've had a Giotto for about 125 recreational dives and with the exception of diving in Cozumel, I've not really experienced limitations. There, I had some 10-15 minute hangs at 15 feet. Overall, it's easy to use and I don't see replacing it in the near future. I think I paid about $150-$200.

I've had a Giotto for about 125 recreational dives and with the exception of diving in Cozumel, I've not really experienced limitations. There, I had some 10-15 minute hangs at 15 feet. Overall, it's easy to use and I don't see replacing it in the near future. I think I paid about $150-$200.
You will find that you do not always have the option of doing deco. There are many good land based options that do not mind you using the gas in your tank, but prohibit deco. Some liveaboards require ascending as a group, a deco obligation would interfere with that, most of them prohibit deco. When you are by yourself, you can do what you want.

You will find that you do not always have the option of doing deco. There are many good land based options that do not mind you using the gas in your tank, but prohibit deco. Some liveaboards require ascending as a group, a deco obligation would interfere with that, most of them prohibit deco. When you are by yourself, you can do what you want.

Of course, I was not doing deco dives. The dive profiles, in conjunction with multiple dives across multiple days, produced the extended safety stop. I got to hang with the DM as he completed his extended stop as well. It's concerning that experienced professionals wouldn't consider this.

Of course, I was not doing deco dives. The dive profiles, in conjunction with multiple dives across multiple days, produced the extended safety stop. I got to hang with the DM as he completed his extended stop as well. It's concerning that experienced professionals wouldn't consider this.
You will find this strategy will not work at several of the destinations on your "to do" list. However, you may actually be correct, and, with your Cressi, you may not be doing deco, just waiting around at 15 feet so that you will not be locked out. I never stopped to think of it this way. Sorry, still won't work.

Best of luck and good diving

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom