1st unplanned deco dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've had technical training from a number of technical-only agencies. Nobody teaches a sign for "remaining." Especially one as confusing as "it's the same sign, you just point with your pinky." SSI is not what I would consider an authority in the technical diving realm.

For us new divers that now have a few dives tallied up and are getting better on air consumption while also feeling comfortable diving deeper, NDL times are going to come into play more often.

A bit of a tangent from your original question, but it might be beneficial to look into a Nitrox certification at this point. It's an easy way to buy yourself a little more bottom time for those dives down to around 100 ft.

I've had technical training from a number of technical-only agencies. Nobody teaches a sign for "remaining." Especially one as confusing as "it's the same sign, you just point with your pinky." SSI is not what I would consider an authority in the technical diving realm.
I’m training under both SSI and TDI and am aware that the “remaining” signal is not in the TDI manuals that I have seen. I can’t comment on other agencies as I have no intention to train under every agency, two is quite enough for me.

My SSI instructor didn’t actually teach me the signal for “remaining”, we were just clarifying that there was more than one signal with clenched fist and extended pinkie finger in order to avoid miscommunication.

To me, “remaining” is more useful in recreational than in technical.

The way most DMs ask what my NDL is like on vacation dives is usually pointing at me, then tapping their computer. I tap my computer and respond with either OK (more than the agreed upon threshold) or a specific number. I do the same with my buddy.

She had surpassed her NDL and her computer was telling her to Ascend to 10ft for 7 min.

I think it was telling her that her ascent time was now 7 minutes. Made up of the time to get to 6m, plus whatever actual stop is required, plus 3 minutes of safety stop.

The transition from time to NDL to time to surface (TTS) looks very abrupt as it seems to suddenly show a long and scary stop, but actually she will only have had a minute of ‘real’ stop.

The way most DMs ask what my NDL is like on vacation dives is usually pointing at me, then tapping their computer. I tap my computer and respond with either OK (more than the agreed upon threshold) or a specific number. I do the same with my buddy.
Yes, this happens quite often. But pointing to the computer with the index finger is more general and can mean, 'time' 'elapsed time', or residual time. For my last dive on P Weh last year, the dive plan was simple - dive until we reached x time which was 24 hrs before our flight the next day. At the appointed time the DM pointed his index finger at his computer to signal that we had reached the targeted time. He was not asking about remaining NDL.

As I said in my first post in this thread, the sign for "remaining" is not known by most people. I specifically identified that the sign can be found in a SSI manual because I knew that TDI trained divers may not be aware of it as it is not in the TDI manual. And I have no knowledge of signs in the manual of other affiliations.

I personally find it useful in channel dives where I hook onto the reef and dive to NDL or M-value. Different divers have different computers with different algorithms and they will be on different settings, so even though everyone has been at the same depth for most of the dive, everyone is going to have a different remaining NDL. The "remaining" sign is unambiguous and efficient in communicating remaining NDL.

Ditto. I agree with every bit of that.

What's the point of a signal that no one else understands anyway?

I've had technical training from a number of technical-only agencies.
As far as I am aware, most of the agencies that teach tech also teach recreational. TDI does recreational under SDI. GUE, RAID, IANTD, UTD, PADI, NAUI, SSI, and BSAC all do both tech and recreational. What are the technical only agencies that you have trained with?

Nobody teaches a sign for "remaining." Especially one as confusing as "it's the same sign, you just point with your pinky."
If a sign is in a manual, it is taught. The difference between the signs for "deco" and "remaining" is similar to the difference in the single handed signs for "1" and "6". After all, the single handed sign for "1" and "6" is just pointing the index finger. Not at all confusing to me. But I do take the point that you may be confused by it.

SSI is not what I would consider an authority in the technical diving realm.
I choose to train with tech instructor trainers. My instructors generally teach in excess of minimum course standards as I expect them to. At the level of tech instructor trainers, it is a business decision as to which affiliations that these tech instructor trainers wish to represent and they may represent more than 1 affiliation. My TDI instructor is also a PADI tech instructor. My SSI tech instructor is also a TDI instructor. I do redundant tech training with different tech instructor trainers because they have extensive tech diving experience and different views on how to do things. And yes, one tech instructor trainer may contradict another.

I don't see my SSI tech instructor as any less of an authority than my TDI instructor. But wait, my SSI instructor is also a TDI instructor. It's just that the card he issued me is a SSI card. I don't consider that my SSI training to be lesser in any way than my TDI training. In certain respects, what I did in my SSI training exceeded what I did in my TDI training. But then, neither TDI nor SSI are tech only affiliations. So do tell me what tech only affiliations you consider to be an authority. I may wish to do some training with an authority in the technical diving realm.

Back
Top Bottom