Is the Hawaii Dive Worth the trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Add another one. If you're on any of the Hawaiian islands, you should do a few dives. But I do not think I would ever again go to Hawaii specifically to dive.
Above water, they're amazing.
Under water... not so much. Pretty meh.
There are a couple exceptions - the Manta dive off the big island, or the back wall at Molokini. But those are one shot dives, and not (in my opinion) worth a trip, given the mediocrity of the rest of the diving.

I go to Hawaii to dive. Part of it is convenience (shortest time in a plane to someplace tropical) part of it is interest (Hawaiian history and lore) part of it is price, part of it is the great dive operations. looking at maui this winter. You may be disappointed after the Caymans and other spots. I have not found Hawaii to be "meh" and have been a lot of places. Different--yes, mediocre-maybe, but uninteresting-never

The replies so far have been less than enthusiastic. I understand this opinion, but I disagree with it. I love Hawai'i diving. I've been diving on the Big Island, Kaua'i and Maui. Like you, I have dived in the Red Sea, Bahamas, Caymans & Azores. I think Hawai'i is most like Azores, except warmer, even more beautiful topside, and with more preserved marine life. So if you think you would enjoy "super-Azores" diving, then I think you would enjoy Hawai'i.

Here's what I like:
The most beautiful topside scenery anywhere in the world (I haven't been to New Zealand yet, but...)
Every island has easy shore diving as well as boat diving
Variety of big & small marine life - turtles, sharks, mantas, eels, nudibranchs, frogfish, and more turtles

What I don't like:
It's expensive (getting there, lodging, and dive boats)

It's true that the coral triangle has more of everything, but Hawai'i is a special place. My favorite island is the Big Island because of the variety. But Maui had the most interesting and easiest shore diving. And Kaua'i had the best single dive experience - the day trip over to Ni'ihua. You can see some for yourself:

Kaua'i: https://flic.kr/s/aHsk2Y6afz
Maui: https://flic.kr/s/aHsm5cnNTR

The replies so far have been less than enthusiastic. I understand this opinion, but I disagree with it. I love Hawai'i diving. I've been diving on the Big Island, Kaua'i and Maui. Like you, I have dived in the Red Sea, Bahamas, Caymans & Azores. I think Hawai'i is most like Azores, except warmer, even more beautiful topside, and with more preserved marine life. So if you think you would enjoy "super-Azores" diving, then I think you would enjoy Hawai'i.

Here's what I like:
The most beautiful topside scenery anywhere in the world (I haven't been to New Zealand yet, but...)
Variety of big & small marine life - turtles, sharks, mantas, eels, nudibranchs, frogfish, and more turtles

What I don't like:

It's true that the coral triangle has more of everything, but Hawai'i is a special place. My favorite island is the Big Island because of the variety. But Maui had the most interesting and easiest shore diving. And Kaua'i had the best single dive experience - the day trip over to Ni'ihua. You can see some for yourself:

Exactly! Thank you for sharing your lovely photos, after reading this thread I was beginning to doubt my memory of all the great things we saw while diving in Hawaii - you've restored my faith in Hawaiian diving!

Here's what I like:

What I don't like:

I agree with everything above. The high degree of endemic marine life is what makes Hawai'i diving special for me. Combine that with all of the amazing topside scenery and activities (and the food!), and Hawai'i is hard to beat.

IMO.

Many years ago, as I recall about 35 years ago wife and I spent several weeks in the islands- Dove all the popular locations and visited the popular tourist locations.
Absolutely gorgeous top side scenery and wonderful friendly people with fantastic mild weather
We then crossed it off our bucket list.

Don't know why we have never gone back

For the past ten years my son and his family have traveled to the islands . He does a little SCUBA diving but spends most of his water time with his daughters perfecting their waterman ship and snorkeling skills

SDM

Here's what I like:

What I don't like:

Thank for your information and photos .
I will be there in April ..maybe less dives but more land
Yes I agree with you Hawai'i is most like Azores

Thanks

Looks like the last few posts hit what I was going to say dead on. The amount and variety of endemic life here is amazing. You do get some dive operators that have easy sites to go to that aren't the best. If you find a dive operation that will go above and beyond to show you the real Hawaii and be able to brief/find/show you that life, you'll fall in love with the diving here. That is why I ended up making Kauai home for a future of endless dives. I would highly suggest seeking out "6 pack" operators due to the small groups. You'll get a personable touch to the whole trip. Kauai is the oldest of the islands and tends to have a rich variety of life since it's had 5+ million years to establish such. If you have any in depth questions about Kauai, feel free to direct message me, I'd be more than happy to help out, even non diving accommodations. -Nick

Looks like the last few posts hit what I was going to say dead on. The amount and variety of endemic life here is amazing. You do get some dive operators that have easy sites to go to that aren't the best. If you find a dive operation that will go above and beyond to show you the real Hawaii and be able to brief/find/show you that life, you'll fall in love with the diving here. That is why I ended up making Kauai home for a future of endless dives. I would highly suggest seeking out "6 pack" operators due to the small groups. You'll get a personable touch to the whole trip. Kauai is the oldest of the islands and tends to have a rich variety of life since it's had 5+ million years to establish such. If you have any in depth questions about Kauai, feel free to direct message me, I'd be more than happy to help out, even non diving accommodations. -Nick

This. I've had some of my best dives in and around Kauaʻi, especially out at Niʻihau! For years, we had dismissed Kauaʻi, focusing mostly on Hawaiʻi Island for diving. Kauaʻi is definitely something special (and the landscape is arguably the most beautiful in the state!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom