TSA friendly transportation of AL40s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divezonescuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
133EF4B3-F960-4021-A503-0578732D835B.jpeg
Here is hopefully a TSA friendly way to securely transport AL40s in checked luggage.

In the past, we have had TSA people just zip the bag back up without attempting to brace or resecure the AL40s in the same manner that they were carefully put in the suitcase. One time this caused a jar of coffee to burst.

As illustrated, many larger roller bags have a set of parallel reinforcing rails underneath the suitcase liner. This is a general purpose Delsey suitcase. The dive dedicated ist bag also has similar rails. The AL40s are secured between the rails by fastek 2 inch buckles with webbing underneath the frame. This keeps the AL40 from shifting during transport, particularly if the suitcase is mostly empty. The buckles are easily released and hopefully the TSA guys will take the trouble to rebuckle them after removing the tank for inspection.

Of course, you can’t fit much other gear in the suitcase if you want to stay under the 50 pound limit.

A rebreather diver once told me that he he was always getting hassled traveling with a rebreather (trying to explain this big high tech device to security people.)

So he made an official looking document with an eagle, some border trim and the words "Safe for Air Travel" in big letters and would put it on top of the rebreather in the case. It had no official government references or citations but he said a lot of the time, they'd open the case, see it, close the case and pass him along, unhassled.

We fly to places where there are no AL40s. Other places it would be difficult to get one and then you would pay the same price to rent as they cost if you could get them.

This is not a thread on to carry or not to carry, it is a thread on how to carry if you want to.

On occasion, I need to fly a cylinder for my rebreathers. I just remove the valves and put a piece of clear tape over the opening. I add a full-page printout Inside the bag for the inspector to read. I've never had a problem or issue.

TSA INSPECTOR:

THIS BAGGAGE INCLUDES SCUBA DIVING GEAR AND SUPPLIES.

FEEL FREE TO PAGE OR CALL ME IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, AS THIS EQUIPMENT IS A VITAL PART OF MY SCUBA SYSTEM!

THANK YOU-
Your Name
Your Phone #

On occasion, I need to fly a cylinder for my rebreathers. I just remove the valves and put a piece of clear tape over the opening. I add a full-page printout Inside the bag for the inspector to read. I've never had a problem or issue.

TSA INSPECTOR:

FEEL FREE TO PAGE OR CALL ME IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, AS THIS EQUIPMENT IS A VITAL PART OF MY SCUBA SYSTEM!

THANK YOU-
Your Name
Your Phone #
technically you are not allowed to put tape over the opening, seems to get a pass usually though

TSA INSPECTOR:

THANK YOU-
Your Name
Your Phone #

Good Idea. I'm going to use it but add my Known Traveler Number to the name & phone.

I've flown 3 tanks with 9 successful security events.

They go valve off (no tape - tape could trap dangerous gas inside according to tsa) wrapped in a wetsuit. My spare mask and a printout with my info and a brief story about what they are.

For my rebreather, I put the manual on top and a friendly note. Only moved it once.

Cameron

A rebreather diver once told me that he he was always getting hassled traveling with a rebreather (trying to explain this big high tech device to security people.)

So he made an official looking document with an eagle, some border trim and the words "Safe for Air Travel" in big letters and would put it on top of the rebreather in the case. It had no official government references or citations but he said a lot of the time, they'd open the case, see it, close the case and pass him along, unhassled.

This is genius.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom