Xdeep/Genz Black - screen brightness issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is the usual experience... (according to the fb user group).
They reply to emails sporadically. Often complaining about technical difficulties with their email system.
But check your spam folders carefully too! Their emails get filtered quite easily by gmail etc.
I was able to reach them and correspond with them only by using my company email address, yet still got complaints about lost emails. I also encountered weeks of silence between replies, received emails that were addressed to another person and last they shipped the unit without notifying me with a tracking number making it a real pain to find it after initial unsuccessful delivery attempt.
The whole process was like a bad comedy version of customer service.
BUT in the end, I got my computer back, with a new screen and battery and paid only postage.

I got an email response a week or so back from them. 70 Euro to fix the screen and 30 euro in postage to ship (back to Canada). That's about $155 CND (or about a 15% down payment on a Shearwater).

I was experiencing the same issue and managed to get in touch with Genz. The charge was 70 EUR plus 30 EUr for shipping. A reasonable price, except coming from the far east, we have a problem with items getting "lost" in the mail. Additionally, the replacements are probably still similar to the old screens.

Took mine apart instead. They run a Solomon Systech SSD1353U4 PMOLED. I've ordered one from HK and just waiting for it to arrive so I can install it. If it turns out to be a relatively easy swap, I may just opt to keep this Black as a backup/loaner - considering I can always just change the screen and battery if the need arises.

At any rate, I already got a Perdix as well.

Attachments

• IMG_0941.jpg
    IMG_0941.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 511
Xdeep was struggling from the begining....

xDeep isn't struggling with the stuff they do themselves, this was simply a re-branded computer that was a failboat. The stuff they actually specialize in is great kit, and they're doing well.

They shouldn't have even bothered rebranding a computer IMO, and had issues from the get go, both from the supply chain side as well as quality.

Not sure I follow you.... xdeep struggled from the beginin with supply, support and quality with this DC going as far back as 2014/15. They might have other stuff that is not to bad, but the DC is crap. Giving something a new name is not magically going fix the problems or lack of support.

Many divers was warned to rather go with Shearwater even back then...

I was experiencing the same issue and managed to get in touch with Genz. The charge was 70 EUR plus 30 EUr for shipping. A reasonable price, except coming from the far east, we have a problem with items getting "lost" in the mail. Additionally, the replacements are probably still similar to the old screens.

Took mine apart instead. They run a Solomon Systech SSD1353U4 PMOLED. I've ordered one from HK and just waiting for it to arrive so I can install it. If it turns out to be a relatively easy swap, I may just opt to keep this Black as a backup/loaner - considering I can always just change the screen and battery if the need arises.

At any rate, I already got a Perdix as well.

Hi Ed,

I saw that you ordered a new Solomon Systech SSD1353U4 PMOLED display for the Xdeep black, currently i'm in the exact same situation. I took everything apart and need to install a new display, since the current one is not useable anymore. Can you please tell me which display you've ordered? I tried to find the correct display, however was unable to find it.

Have you allready tried to swap the display's, and did you managed to get it working again?

Thanks,

Best Regards,
Bart

upload_2018-8-6_9-36-59.png

Last edited:
I'm still waiting to get it from Hong Kong. Rest assured, I shall post an update regarding the swap. There are several suppliers from Alibaba. SRP is anywhere from 18-20 dollars for small volume purchases.

I got the Black and sold it after 10 dives when it first came out. Even then when fresh, the screen was awful. The customer service fiasco with Sebastian and Piotr was one of the worst CFs in consumer history.

Not sure I follow you.... xdeep struggled from the beginin with supply, support and quality with this DC going as far back as 2014/15. They might have other stuff that is not to bad, but the DC is crap. Giving something a new name is not magically going fix the problems or lack of support.

Many divers was warned to rather go with Shearwater even back then...

The Black was not an xDeep manufactured product like their other stuff (Stealth, NX, etc.), it was manufactured by someone else and just rebranded. The xDeep proper products are fine, both design, quality, and supply, although the US distributor sucks pretty hard.

The rebranded computer was a clusterf**k. Yes, QC, supply, support, etc. for the computer was terrible. The same problems do not exist with the stuff that xDeep manufactures themselves.

xDeep has divested themselves from the computer that was theirs in name only. I don't know if GENZ is the original manufacturer, or they are rebranding it as well, but it's clear that it's still a failure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom