Heading to Bonaire in August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Everywhere take US cash or do I need to exchange once i get there? Most places take amex? (don't have currency conversion fees on my amex)
As of 2010, the U.S. Dollar is the currency in Bonaire. As to AMEX, the only place I found that accepts American Express is a boutique in the downtown area. Visa and Mastercard are accepted in pretty much every business.

. . . Also for food, is there a grocery store or everyone just eats out every evening?

The big grocery store is Van den Tweel, a Dutch chain. Has most everything you could want and then some. Van Den Tweel (Kralendijk) - 2018 All You Need to Know Before You Go (with Photos) - TripAdvisor

Zhung Kong is basically a convenience store (and liquor store) with some canned and frozen items and sorry-looking vegetables. Fine for picking up an item or two, not for an American doing a week's worth of grocery shopping.

I didn't know the Zhung Kong sold anything but booze!:wink: We are in there a few times during the course of a week because I am always spilling my vodka. (into my mouth) You will be hard pressed to find more indifferent service in this hemisphere. We are frequent flyers to the VDT for food and the like. As you will have seen in other threads, Between 2 Buns is just down the street from Buddy and serves a terrific lunch. It is good you are doing some boat dives as that will get you to Klein and hopefully Country Garden and Rappel.

In terms of leaving the car unlocked in the windows down, do you guys take the key with you driving or do you hide it somewhere?

In terms of leaving the car unlocked in the windows down, do you guys take the key with you driving or do you hide it somewhere?
I use a waterproof pouch and put the key, my DL, some cash and my debit or CC in there and either put it around my neck or in my dive buddy's BC pocket- I don't have pockets on my BP/W. Always leave the windows down and truck unlocked.

I use one of these for keys/c-card and $20. The only reason for the c-card was we dove with a couple of the onsite operators at the resorts.

Witz Scuba Cases - Waterproof Watertight Cases buy at LeisurePro

I own one of those for my eyeglasses but have never taken it underwater. It seems solid enough, and I'd trust it for keys and money, but maybe not a smartphone. It's interesting that Leisure Pro calls it a "scuba case" and "watertight," while Witz's own site doesn't make any such representations. Witz suggests uses such as "kayaking" and "rafting" and says that the o-ring will "keep out water and dust." I have used even flimsier cases in Bonaire, sometimes with a ziploc bag inside for extra protection, with success, so I have no doubt it works--just maybe a little more vulnerable than something truly designed for protection at scuba depths.

Leisure pro says it works to 100 feet. Didn’t look at their website. Regardless I don’t care if it gets wet just neee it for emergency money and keys

You should be excited! I have been there a number of times and have a number of solo dives as well as being to a number of resorts (The Plaza, Buddy Dive, etc.)

I am with a group this year, and will be there from August, 11 until the 18th, which fits into your schedule... difference is that I will be there as a single this time (always been with my (now ex, prior)). I will be right next to Buddy Dive at Captain Don's Habitat.

In the past, I have usually gone with the "dive, drive and dine" package to start the day, and did not do that this year (but, I will be getting a truck for travel). The group I am going with is used to boat dives... I am not. I am willing to meet up with divers who are "solo divers" because I am an amature underwater photographer, and don't necessarily want to have to babysit another diver.

There are other things to this island that are very interesting other than diving. If you are interested in meeting up when you are there, let me know. We can connect through PM, or other...

Thanks,
Jim

Back
Top Bottom