Owen Roberts Airport departure lounge opens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was there yesterday (saturday) @ 2.30 PM. Every single chair in the departure area was taken and there was barely a place to stand. The lounge was hot and there were long lineups for the bathrooms. There is a small cafe/bar, take away only. There were patties available.They also had a small selection of duty free liquor.

Arrivals is significantly better than the old terminal in that the number of Immigration stations has increased and the throughput has improved. There was zero wait time for luggage. All in all, took about 45 minutes from landing to out the door of the terminal.

Similarly, security is better on the way out. There are 4 x ray stations now as compared to 2 before. The staff were polite for a change.

Hopefully, when the construction is completed and the dust settles, there will be a modern, smoothly functioning airport.

just there one week ago - as is stated above, still not great - we did find places to sit, but very uncomfortable chairs - which was fine for us but not so much for my 84 year old mom

it does LOOK like it is gonna be awesome - we actually did eat and drink in the outside area after checking our bags and getting boarding passes - plane delayed about three hours and if I'd have thought about it, we'd have hopped in a cab and gone somewhere - though there were seven of us... having said all of that, the food outside was fine - the drinks were really good - try the rum runner - not a weak drink which makes me happy before flying:)

I like flying in to GCM because of the relative proximity to the Southern US (2 1/2 hours from Atlanta) means I can be there very quickly - I don't like the airport... yet...

The best option is to take the free shuttle to the George Town Yacht Club. Its what we all do and it is a lovely way to chill before leaving the Rock. If I was ending a vacation or travelling with family I would not sit in the airport (Owen Roberts or any other) any longer than necessary. Having that last while looking at the sea before departing was always part of our departure tactics. The shuttle to GTYC makes it super easy, but even long before it existed or the construction, we would check in, keep the rental car and disappear to My Bar at Sunset House. One of the things that makes a small airport so much nicer is that you don't actually have to stay in it:)

Was there (GCM) last Saturday connecting from LYB & BRC, on way back to Miami/LAX. I have never seen such a circus ! :) The incoming immigration line extended outside, onto the tarmac. It had to have been at least a 1 to 2 hour wait just to get in the building. Inside the departure lounge was nuts, as well. You literally could not move around in there. That can't finish this thing soon enough. And yes, the best food options are outside, across the street.

Arrived on Saturday, 6/30. Flight out of CLT was delayed, so we landed at 12:30pm, in the dreaded 12:00-2:00 period.
6 planes on the tarmac in mid summer! We got lined up outside in a snaking queue. At least it was covered, but the musical act (not calling them a band) was immediately adjacent to the line. Caribbean themed music is fine, but not when the speakers are right next to you and you think you'll be there a good while. The airport staff only offered us water for the wait, no booze of any kind. Feared the worst, sure looked like it would take an hour + to even just get indoors. Well somehow I must have been lulled by the music, or maybe deafened, and fallen asleep standing up. The outside line only seemed to take less than 10 minutes. Surely not possible.

Got indoors to Immigration and it was packed. Now the fun really begins...

From the first queue ouside, until exiting Customs took an agonizing 25 whole minutes, never again. Too many immigration agents, working too efficiently. Not what I am used to and certainly not how I expect to be treated.

Departed, Sunday, 7/8. We had a 3:20 pm take-off and had no lines at the airline counter to check bags or any wait through security. Plenty of seating in departure area as well, though heaven forbid, it would mean sitting with neighbors on each side.

I guess timing is everything.

No booze and only water for the 10 minute wait without a/c?! The horror! :eek::drunks:

Glad to hear you were able to be king of the good timing! I don't typically notice the crowded seating at GCM because I am too busy hugging my newly-acquired rum cakes.

Based on my experience arriving at through Owen Roberts last month on a Saturday, I will be trying out the meet and greet next Saturday. We have just over 2 hours to get through customs, immigration, baggage and connection to LC but do not like stress. Will let the board know how the meet and greet service works out.

Based on all the stories I had been reading recently, I booked our trip for August to fly in and out on a Friday just to avoid the madhouse.

I take it this is not a private lounge, like Priority Pass.

Back
Top Bottom