Father & Son dive buddies!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Derek Stout

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello All! My son and I are taking our final certification dive tomorrow, woohoo! I'm excited to finally be a part of the dive community. My buddy has been trying to get me to dive in for about 10 years now.

Most of our dives will be taking place around Southern California, with three dives tomorrow at Catalina. We also did our first three certification dives last month at Catalina.

Hope to meet some of you out there!

Congrats to the both of you. I know how special it is to have a close dive buddy as my wife and I dive together. Have lots of fun and dive lots.

My husband and I certified together (I gave it to him as a b’day pressie) and if course he needed a buddy. Both my kids certified when they were old enough. One is an instructor now and the other DM. We have had some many wonderful times together and although all grown up now we still share special trips. Wish you the best for some awesome times.

Thanks! Yes, trying to get my wife to get certified. She says she's sticking to snorkeling though. As soon as my daughter is old enough, she's ready to go. That is still a few years off though.

Welcome to the 'board and the underwater world!!!
Please feel free to drop on down to our local forum here: SoCal

Hope to see in the water some day soon.

Congratulations and welcome to both of you on SB. Nothing like diving w/ family and then off gassing on scubaboard post dive.:)

Make sure you tell us how your dives went.

Awesome!!!
My oldest son has been certified for a few years now, I love diving with him, he’s the best buddy! I hope you have some of the greatest times together!

Thanks! Yes, trying to get my wife to get certified. She says she's sticking to snorkeling though. As soon as my daughter is old enough, she's ready to go. That is still a few years off though.
I've been diving with my son since he turned 12, 21 years now. My wife was not very interested in diving but ended up getting certified with my daughter when she turned 12, 16 years now. There's nothing I enjoy more than diving with my family.

Enjoy your diving, maybe your wife will certify with your daughter

So the diving trip was fun on Saturday. Swells were pretty big on the way over, but the visibility at our first dive was decent. We were near Emerald Bay and got to swim through the big kelp for the first time. By about 1:00 pm the wind picked up so much it snapped the mooring line of the boat, so there was a bit of a scramble trying to reset the anchor and the divers in the water (not us) had a pretty long surface-swim back to the boat. Because of this, and another mishap with my son's BC, we missed going out on the second dive, oh well. Once everyone was back on board, the captain went to find a spot out of the wind. We ended up at Eel Cove where my son and I went on our first instructor-free dive, woohoo! That spot was nice, although visibility was pretty bad, maybe 20 feet. Lots of fish of course and a few lobsters. Other groups saw a large bat-ray. Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! We're excited to be getting wet!

Back
Top Bottom