Free photo editing software

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Irfan view is fantastic for the quick adjust, resize, rotate crop etc.

But for anything more than that I use Paint dot Net.
Paint.NET - Free Software for Digital Photo Editing

Its more like a free version of Photoshop for windows.

There is a really useful plugin pack from bolt bait that has a fantastic colour balance tool to fix underwater photos.

Small adjustments towards cyan and magenta make a significant difference to underwater snaps.

FREE Paint.NET Plugins

images.jpeg

Hope that helps. Like this post if it does

Mike.

I like IRFAN view but it does not do raw conversions. GIMP is quite old now, it debuted in 1995 or so. The team working on it are quite good, it works well for most things and if you don't have Photoshop or Lightroom habits to disremember it is all you need. If you have lots of PS habits though, it can be challenging to think in the GIMP way.
Bill

I like darktable for what it is, and for simple editing it is fine, however for printing it is a complete disaster.
Bill

I like darktable for what it is, and for simple editing it is fine, however for printing it is a complete disaster.
Bill

Out of curiosity, how so? I use Lightroom + Photoshop, but I'm curious about darktable's limitations (I've only briefly played around with darktable).

So, in Darktable there is no obvious way to size a photo; when you crop you always get a fill the canvas photo. Also, getting ICC profiles to work correctly at least for me has been problematic. In general I use LR to edit and PS to print and am happy but thought trying to get DT to work would be a good intellectual exercise.

Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom