Rescue Diver and Red Cross Cert (Cross posted in Basic Scuba)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PADI doesn't charge any fee for the EFR course; PADI only sells course materials to the dive shop, and the dive shop chooses how much to charge for the course. This is true of all PADI courses.

While true, Padi requires student materials ( and they charge ) Certification processing (Charge) Stupid fees annually for the instructor to keep teaching ( more charges) 30 bucks approx for the book and card.

And if you want to teach o2, through Padi it is a specialty (no expiration, that is a different gripe) Books and card.. getting close to 50 bucks to Padi.....
DAN going 100% online course work prior to class really sucks, I use to prefer teaching the DAN programs, lower cost that I could pass along to the student and the material was better in my opinion. Students seem to not get the online stuff done prior to class and most prefer a one shot deal with the class instead of a multi part format.
Once again it is the agencies making things difficult for the instructor.

Has anyone taken a Red cross o2 course? Does the course discuss diving o2 first aid?

I usually do teach these programs at cost or near cost because I truly believe these are some of the most important classes a diver should take.

I advise divers serious about rescue training to take a lifeguard course (because surface rescues occur with far more frequency in the diving environment) and the accompanying CPR, First, Aid, AED, O2 for the pro rescuer. NAUI's course on aquatic injuries is also good.

I'm looking into Rescue... and am looking for a suitable first aid course. I already have current BLS & ACLS; so the introductory CPR & AED stuff is a waste of time and money. (I would hope my professional credentials and certifications would give me a pass on the O2 administration; but I know that the policies governing such things often don't make much sense.) I've seen some (inexpensive) online first aid courses offered that give a 2 year card - will that work?

I'm looking into Rescue... and am looking for a suitable first aid course. I already have current BLS & ACLS; so the introductory CPR & AED stuff is a waste of time and money. (I would hope my professional credentials and certifications would give me a pass on the O2 administration; but I know that the policies governing such things often don't make much sense.) I've seen some (inexpensive) online first aid courses offered that give a 2 year card - will that work?
assuming you are talking PADI - proof of current CPR training and first aid training from another org qualifies. You don't need O2 admin certification - its useful, but the basics are part of the rescue course.

assuming you are talking PADI - proof of current CPR training and first aid training from another org qualifies. You don't need O2 admin certification - its useful, but the basics are part of the rescue course.
Thus the reason I don't take PADI courses. I just both NASE and NAUI Rescue (NAUI Advanced) and both require First Aid/CPR plus O2. I don't feel PADI courses teach enough safety when compared to other organizations. But that's just my opinion. FWIW I didn't really feel the elearning material for the NASE rescue was sufficient, either. My instructor agreed, which is what resulted in my obtaining certifications in both NASE and NAUI since we followed both curriculums.

Back
Top Bottom