Hydros BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hammy1024

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am a woman thinking of buying a Scubapro Hydros Pro. I dive with a SP Bella, but like the idea of carrying less weights because I have 2 artificial knees. I understand the Hydros requires less lead. Anyone who owns one have any comments on whether it is a good BC or not? Any other BCDs on the market like it?

I have posted a number of times in the BCD subforum (in detail) about how much I love my Hydros. It is the only regular BCD I would buy. The only one I have bought, in fact. I have been an avowed back plate and wing guy since I started diving. But, the Hydros has changed me when it comes to single tank diving.

Have they fixed the problem with the attachment points tearing out under normal use? It was mentioned in several threads here. One Scubapro suggestion was to never carry the BC by the shoulders with weight in the pockets. I guess they've never dived off a boat...

It's also overpriced IMO.

Where do you dive? If only warm water - dump the Bella - you're carrying weight to compensate for it's floatiness and buy a travel bc with little or no inherent buoyancy - either the Aqualung Zuma or the Scubapro Lighthawk list that as a feature - I forget which one.

You could also look at a soft plate back-inflate - like the Zeagle Express Tech - you only add those features/pockets etc. that you need. Other companies make them also including Diverite?

Last edited:
Both a male and female friend have one, and they both love them. The female friend had an issue with the attachment point last year that was fixed under warranty without question, and has had no issues since. I don't know if the repair included any kind of improvement.

I... like the idea of carrying less weights because I have 2 artificial knees. I understand the Hydros requires less lead.

I'm not clear why ANY bcd would require less added weight, unless it was less buoyant than another. Is that what is suggested? That other bcd's have more trapped air, and thus require more carried lead to render neutral? A less buoyant bcd is actually its own weight, isn't it?
Yes, the Hydros has a closed cell design that doesn't potentially trap air like some fabric bcd's. But other bcd's air trapping is generally temporary.
Hydros has a pretty good reputation, notwithstanding the shoulder strap issue. But it shouldn't be touted as "requiring less lead", in my opinion.

It's true vs the Bella because all the foam in the Bella padding adds lift you have to compensate for with extra weight. Using the closed cell foam design on the Hydros they've minimized that.

I could be wrong but I thought the male/female difference was the accent color - and maybe the sizing? I don't believe the Hydros comes in a women's cut like your Bellla.

Worth asking a dealer instead of the guys here...lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom