Are Atomic regs really that much better ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Murphy in NC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a relatively new Aqua Lung Titan regulator and it works however I would like to hear from some folks who have the Atomic brand and if they are really as good as the manufacturer claims. They tout the "natural breathing" is this true and does the breathing get easier as you climb up in cost?

I am aware of the reduced maintenance and I really doubt I will ever be diving very cold environments.

I ask as I spent the last few days diving and I know there are better breathing regs however I don't want to spend the money and be disappointed.

Any input from those who have had experience with different regs including Atomic would be greatly appreciated.

They're fine regs. Are they worth the premium? I don't think so, but there are enough of them out there that obviously some people do. I wouldn't besmirch someone for purchasing them.

I can make the best performing reg breathe like crap. Any well-tuned reg breathes just fine. It's not like it's rocket surgery, especially with modern regulators.

To recap, they make fine regulators. Some people think they are worth the premium, others feel they are not. It's a personal choice, and people feel pretty strongly either way. Don't fall for the rhetoric.

I have an Atomic ST1 along with an M1 octo that I bought new when I started diving. My thinking at that time was, "this is life support equipment so it's okay to spend a lot of money and ensure high quality."

I also have a used HOG D3 that I bought for a pony bottle setup. Both regs have been serviced according to manufacturer recommendations.

To me, they both seem to breathe pretty equally. I think that any modern regulator that is serviced appropriately and tuned to manufacturer spec is going to breathe pretty well. I do appreciate the two year service interval on the atomic regs though.

I dive (and service) both Aqualung and Atomic, and @JohnnyC has it right. It's all about tuning. You can make ANY major manufacturers modern reg breathe as well as another if the cracking effort is set the same. Yes there are differences, but you can make most any good second "sip" air, especially if you set cracking effort slightly below specification.

Is it worth the premium? Well, first of all, the Z-series Atomic is comparable to Aqualung and Scubapro in price. If you're talking titanium bodies, that's another thing. But you don't need titanium to have your equipment last thirty years. I'm still diving my brass and chrome 1986 Mk 10/G250.

More important, there are features that Atomic carries that make them stand out.
To me, having a sealable piston, even in warm water, makes maintenance worries drop by an order of magnitude. Second, the seat saver feature on the second stage extends time between service intervals on that reg too.
Third, quality of manufacture is truly unsurpassed. Other mfrs might match them, but not exceed them, IMHO.
Finally, they're a very responsive company, unlike others we know.

Is it worth the premium to me? Absolutely!

But...they're a piston-only company. If you prefer diaphragms, Aqualung (or Poseidon) are great choices.

I like my Atomic and it breathes well. I do have it tuned well for me. I have had Oceanic, IDI and a really old Sherwood as my first reg. I liked the IDI but it was heavy (metal seconds). I was not impressed with the Oceanics (FDX10 diaphram) and they did not breath well for me in addition to the pos DVT. It breathed wet much more upside down than the Atomic The Sherwood (my 1st reg) was unbalanced and old 20 years ago. That went by the wayside quickly. The Atomic suits me for breathing but also I like less weight (T1 as I hope this is the last reg I ever buy).
I have no experience with Aqua Lung so I cannot make comparisons.

I like my Atomic Z2 because it breathes easy, breathes dry, and is relatively unaffected by orientation. It looks like they go for around $440.

List please.
Lol, dunno!
My preceding sentence was something like "their manufacturing quality is unsurpassed". And that's true, IMHO. But I have other regs that have lasted as long with chrome and tolerances that seemed just as good, like Scubapro and Poseidon. Lots of mfrs have great reps, but that's very much in the eye of the beholder.

And newcomers like Deep6 are adding user serviceability to the mix. So here's hoping that things turn our way, instead of the manufacturer's way, in the future.

I like my z2 much better than the scubapro’s that I was trained on and the few after training but can’t remember the brands as the were loaners.

I think some deals can be had if you wait for Xmas or Black Friday I got my z2 setup which includes 1st stage 2nd stage and a z2 octo for around $350 during Xmas sale events. I was excited to say the least :yeahbaby::D

Edit: btw all atomic are made the same way just some use higher grade materials.

Last edited:
Aqua-Lung, Cressi, Deep6, Dive Rite, Mares, Poeisdon, Scubapro, all have excellent regs.

You can buy a fine tuned Honda or Toyota, and other brands, at a price far below the Marquee brands.

Do you want a Timex or a Rolex?

Most modern regulators are very efficient and reliable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom