Hose retainers. Where and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm trying to imagine an out-of-air diver trying to break a ziptie. Do they break that easily?

I use something like this for securing my octo...breaks away easily when tugged: Kraton Octo Holder

I don't clip off my primary during an SI or boat rides but probably should.

Yes, the very small zipties break away very easily. But the OOA diver shouldn't be the one breaking it anyway. You should be to donate. I was taught the breakaway zip tie by Edd when I took sidemount years ago. One of his points was that if the OOA person is flailing for your reg, they should be able to break the zip tie very easily in their flailing. But usually the OOA person is going for the reg in your mouth and therefore you should be the one doing the donating.

You may want to change the DIR Practitioner below your user name. :)

I ignored your first post because I didn’t want to start anything.

But is that really what you take away from the post? I’m a new diver and I like the DIR way but haven’t been able to take a course where I would like to. I don’t want to set my rig up DIR compelety and have it messed up and have to re do it. I have a bp/w and will one day go the way of gue but for now I can’t due to just finishing college and having many bills coming in n

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be mean. The word practitioner to me means that you adhere to the DIR principles, yet you say that you don't. Having a backup reg bungeed around your neck doesn't cost any more than having it bungeed to your waist.
I have used a Hogarthian gear configuration for nearly two decades but would never call myself a DIR Practitioner because I enjoy solo diving too much.

Thanks! Would love a picture when you can.

Here’s a pic of the knot. When done tying I just slide it around so it’s under the webbing and not showing at all.
D13CEF93-C458-45EE-845D-2EBF1F05FA2B.jpeg

Food for thought... As far as costs... The DIR method/gear configuration is really no more expensive than all the doo-dads and clips. Some cave/reel line and a 1/2" SS bolt snap for the primary reg... $10-15. Bungee for the alt air source necklace... $1-2 a foot. Some more line and a 1" SS Bolt Snap for the SPG... $10-15. Even if you don't opt for the long hose yet (thought it's way safer that standard lengths)... these simple set-ups will serve you now... and all the way through your upper tech dive training. You'll spend way more $$$ shopping and waste way more time resetting/replacing all the plastic, rubber, and other "neat" products that simply become liabilities on the dive.

Part of the DIR mind set is standard gear configuration. Not necessarily brand loyalties, just consistent with configuration. Not everyone buys in to that. Some call it dogma. It does speak to a segment of the population though. Cops, Fireman, Combat Military, Medics, etc... In an emergency, you fall to your training, you don't rise to the occasion, therefore, consistency in your gear and the team's gear makes thinking simplistic. The application can save your life or your team's.

Recommend staying away from zip ties, break aways, o-ring doofers... they all fail... and they are always attached in a different spot, or they move around... but, using some cave/reel line tied and fused properly makes a secure attachment. Meaning that the item is exactly where you reach for it, in the exact position you want it, every time. Then, in the emergency, when your mental stress is high, you can rely on your gross motor skills and muscle memory.

I dove for years with different tricks and gear set ups. Went DIR in 2015, and literally have not had to purchase anything else, nor have I had to reset anything since. Good luck!

Part of the DIR mind set is standard gear configuration. Not necessarily brand loyalties, just consistent with configuration. Not everyone buys in to that. Some call it dogma. ... therefore, consistency in your gear and the team's gear makes thinking simplistic. The application can save your life or your team's.

I actually adhere to an absolutely standard configuration - exactly the same, every time - but it's the one that works for me. Not one made up by some comittee/group that doesn't know me, doesn't know the equipment I use, nor the way I dive. Maintaining a dogma that "our way" is the only right way, under all conditions, in every circumstance is, IMO, somewhat less than intelligent (curtious enough?), obstructive, and prevents evolution/improvement of practices, in other words, it's stagnant.

Yes there are areas where stagnation is necessary. Sailing, for example. Only the known, standard knots can be used so everyone knows them intimately. Guess what? Scuba divers aren't a homogeneous group.

And as far as everyone on my team having the exact same known configuration - well, there is no team - I dive solo. Dive and let dive.

I use the standard "DIR" cave line attachment method to secure the bolt snap to my reg, but I have one of those DGX retainers and a spare bolt snap in my save-a-dive kit. I would rather avoid having to tie a bolt snap on with cave line on a rocking boat. That said, inspecting the integrity of the knot at the end of each dive day should preclude me from ever having to use the DGX retainer.

That's an interesting idea I've never thought of after all these years. It makes sense, but seems like it would cause more dangle affect in sidemount (maybe not). I'm going to change mine up and see.

To OP: I prefer using very small zipties for any reg that could be donated. That way when needed I can rip it off a dring. Only negative is sometimes you bump it wrong and lose your ziptie and potentially the snapbolt, though it rarely happens.

it certainly causes it to dangle, but I have a much preferred method of dealing with bolt snaps on regs courtesy of Brett Hemphill

I use the same method described above by tbone. Evolved to it from the tradition tie the cave line to the regulator. IMHO, the method described by Brett is much more flexible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom