The Shearwater Teric Announced

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wanted to seek some advice. I already have an Oceanic OCI but am looking to pick up either the Perdix AI or the Teric as my primary computer and the Oceanic will be a backup. Which would most of you recommend.
All I can say is the Teric is beautiful. I received mines this evening.
IMG_20180705_215641.jpg

Just looking at screenshots - as a rec diver (and I would think most divers), I'd prefer NDL to be a larger number than total dive time.

Is there a reason it was decided that total dive time should be the bigger number? Is this configurable?

Just looking at screenshots - as a rec diver (and I would think most divers), I'd prefer NDL to be a larger number than total dive time.

Is there a reason it was decided that total dive time should be the bigger number? Is this configurable?

I agree. I am mostly a rec diver looking to move into a tech direction, but I really dont care to much about my total dive time. I much rather have a larger NDL time as that is data I DO need to know.

This is feature I would love to "request" through Shearwater

I have a perdix AI, And I am getting a Teric.. i like the idea of the floating compass, and would love to see it on the perdix but maybe a simple mark and inverse mark with an arrow and degrees from mark on the top would work too.

Congrats to Shearwater on another great computer!

I also agree with others.. the cloud software needs ALOT of work! It is a terribly clunky bit of code.

Question for those lucky enough to actually own the Teric.

When you use the "function" button to pull up the compass and choose to "show overlay" of the compass - it's clear you get a floating red arrow north overlay. From there, it's also clear that you can "mark your heading" and get a floating green dot overlay that marks your desired direction of travel. However, what I'm not seeing is - if you actually want to turn around and head back to the boat (or wherever you came from) a corresponding red dot overlay (like you see in the traditional Shearwater Perdix AI style compass). From videos, with the Teric, I know you can pull up the traditional "Perdix AI style compass" and see it "old school" if desired, but does the red dot (or reciprocal heading) show up on the overlay???

If not, is your reciprocal clear? I'm guessing you can look at (now the bottom) of your watch to see where you came from and to see if you're close to your reciprocal. However, even a few degrees off can bring you back far from the boat and that red "return dot" is very helpful (especially when you have to adjust your body angle when coming back with a current trying to push you a different direction). Therefor, simply turning around and "re-remarking" my heading back isn't a viable option. It seems like it would be nice though, if on the way back as well (and not just on the way out) that I can still see my air pressure (or all my info - whatever you customize for that row) and still see my compass. For those of you that'll say, just throw it in traditional style mode, I know that's an option... lol

Guess being a dive shop owner doesn't have any pull. Ordered a batch of these gems from Shearwater - was given 14 weeks

Last edited:
Question for those lucky enough to actually own the Teric.

When you use the "function" button to pull up the compass and choose to "show overlay" of the compass - it's clear you get a floating red arrow north overlay. From there, it's also clear that you can "mark your heading" and get a floating green dot overlay that marks your desired direction of travel. However, what I'm not seeing is - if you actually want to turn around and head back to the boat (or wherever you came from) a corresponding red dot overlay (like you see in the traditional Shearwater Perdix AI style compass). From videos, with the Teric, I know you can pull up the traditional "Perdix AI style compass" and see it "old school" if desired, but does the red dot (or reciprocal heading) show up on the overlay???

If not, is your reciprocal clear? I'm guessing you can look at (now the bottom) of your watch to see where you came from and to see if you're close to your reciprocal. However, even a few degrees off can bring you back far from the boat and that red "return dot" is very helpful (especially when you have to adjust your body angle when coming back with a current trying to push you a different direction). Therefor, simply turning around and "re-remarking" my heading back isn't a viable option. It seems nice though that I can still see all my info (air pressure or whatever you customize for that row) and still see my compass. For those of you that'll say, just throw it in traditional style mode, I know that's an option... lol

Guess being a dive shop owner doesn't have any pull. Ordered a batch of these gems from Shearwater - was given 14 weeks
There is no red dot reciprocal heading indicator with the compass overlay.

Just got my Teric and I love it. The screen is crystal clear and we are diving this weekend in a muddy lake. Will report back!

Wanted to seek some advice. I already have an Oceanic OCI but am looking to pick up either the Perdix AI or the Teric as my primary computer and the Oceanic will be a backup. Which would most of you recommend.
As I noted in earlier posts, I have both units and am thoroughly satisfied with each of them. I noted that I purchased a Teric because I had a specific need for a computer with the smaller form factor. Were that not the case, I’d probably recommend a Perdix, as I like being able to replace the AA battery on a bouncing boat, though I don’t think that you could go wrong with either one.

Just came back from a week in the Florida Keys. Teric worked flawlessly and was at 22% battery life after 10 dives or three days. I did not wear it around as watch or keep any display on at night. I did however connect it bluetooth daily to download dives and ran the compass overlay 100% of the time in the water. So it received one recharge the whole trip using the Samsung QI pad for my iPhone. iPhone required charging everyday along with GoPro and Dive Light batteries.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom