Paralenz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So far I like what I see with this camera. Having just got a GoPro5 for v-day I probably won’t be looking at this for a few years atleast. I like the auto feature and that it list the dive depths.

It's night and day better than a GoPro for diving.
How, exactly, is it night and day better? I have a GoPro 6 and it's great AND I can actually see and properly frame what I'm filming versus pointing blindly when you have no video screen as with the Paralenz.

How, exactly, is it night and day better? I have a GoPro 6 and it's great AND I can actually see and properly frame what I'm filming versus pointing blindly when you have no video screen as with the Paralenz.

Well, I have a GoPro, a newer GoPro knock off, and the Paralenz, so I'm speaking from experience.

An LCD screen would be an advantage that goes to the GoPro if you're trying to take macro shots. Have you tried filming without the screen? With these wide angle lenses it's not as big of an advantage, IMO. On my GoPro I took the screen off because it just drained more battery. Also, As you know, with your GoPro you have to use filters or lights for your footage to look right. If you use just a filter it's still not correct because it's only adding back one shade of red rather than the full spectrum of colors that have been filtered out. On overcast or lower quality viz days those filters block so much light the footage looks dull. On top of that, if I'm not mistaken, you have to buy a separate dive housing just to take the thing diving.

So, you've identified one feature, that in one specific situation, gives the GoPro the advantage, but neither camera was really designed for that purpose. When I put my GoPro on a tray it's pretty simple to capture the video just how I want it. Hell, most of the time I mask mount and I'm still able to capture pretty good video considering I'm doing other activities while diving.

Now, I do think GoPro has an advantage as being more versatile. It's a better camera for above water, but underwater, yes, night and day or should I say, blue and normal. :wink:

On top of that, if I'm not mistaken, you have to buy a separate dive housing just to take the thing diving.

This is correct. Gopro is only good to 30ft without a case.

This is correct. Gopro is only good to 30ft without a case.
I had a friend do a shark feeding dive a couple weeks ago in 20 feet and her new GP6 flooded. She thought she would be okay without buying a dive housing for that birthday trip.

The Paralenz is good without a case to 200 meters or 656 feet.

Well, I have a GoPro, a newer GoPro knock off, and the Paralenz, so I'm speaking from experience.
What GoPro do you have? The knock-off is irrelevant...

An LCD screen would be an advantage that goes to the GoPro if you're trying to take macro shots. Have you tried filming without the screen?
Yes and things are off center and not properly framed!

With these wide angle lenses it's not as big of an advantage, IMO.

I never use the wide setting and, even if I did, steady framing without a screen would still be an issue.

On my GoPro I took the screen off because it just drained more battery.

The GoPro 6 battery lasted for two 50-60 minute dives on my last trip to Aruba with the screen on the whole time. It is much improved over my previous Hero 3+ with add-on LCD that might last only 1 dive (if even)... and I can carry extras and quickly swap out between dives as need be (useful on a day with many dives - like on a liveaboard) - no worries about recharging.

Also, As you know, with your GoPro you have to use filters or lights for your footage to look right.
If you want the best results, lights are really the only solution - everything else is a compromise in image quality in one area or another.

If you use just a filter it's still not correct because it's only adding back one shade of red rather than the full spectrum of colors that have been filtered out. On overcast or lower quality viz days those filters block so much light the footage looks dull.

Filters work quite well up to ~ 50 feet or so. Or you can shoot without filters and color correct/grade in Adobe Permier. The Paralenz is really just doing that anyway - but using a "one solution fit's all" based solely on depth (which may not always be optimal) versus finer control of many variables/adjustments that can be achieved in PP.

On top of that, if I'm not mistaken, you have to buy a separate dive housing just to take the thing diving.

Yup - but only $50 for the Supersuit, so a dive capable camera for $449 vs $599 for the Paralenz.

So, you've identified one feature, that in one specific situation, gives the GoPro the advantage, but neither camera was really designed for that purpose.

The presence of a screen is a HUGE feature - I refuse to step backwards from that as a standard, built-in feature.

When I put my GoPro on a tray it's pretty simple to capture the video just how I want it. Hell, most of the time I mask mount and I'm still able to capture pretty good video considering I'm doing other activities while diving.

Ok - for mask mounting, a video screen is a waste and the form factor of the Paralenzseems better for that as well. I only use the Gopro on a tray.

Now, I do think GoPro has an advantage as being more versatile. It's a better camera for above water, but underwater, yes, night and day or should I say, blue and normal. :wink:
The Paralenz might be a fine camera and, if you want quick, somewhat more accurate color corrected video straight out of the camera it sound's like a good option - but my point is that it's not night and day better than a GoPro 6, all things considered.

However, that said, use what works for you - it's all good!

Last edited:
...On my GoPro I took the screen off because it just drained more battery.
Same, I mostly used a battery bacpac instead of the lcd on the three GoPros I've owned.

... you have to buy a separate dive housing just to take the thing diving.
My 60m housing survived 62m one day and flooded at just 14m only weeks later destroying my Hero 4 black. Only takes a hair apparently, that scares me.

... with your GoPro you have to use filters
My not-easily-replaced Truk videos end with me either pulling the filter off my GoPro at the hang bar for a sudden colour shift I have to try to blend in post processing, and my filter-on-a-string flapping around in the field of view, or me exiting red water onto a red boat gaah :(

Loved my GoPros but definitely getting a paralenz when I'm sure they're sorted.

This is my primary concern with the Paralenz. If it had a screen and some sort of image stabilization, then I'd possibly give it another look. GoPro has really improved the video processor with the Hero 6 - better white balance, higher resolution/frame rates and better image stabilization.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom