Considering a new computer

Which Dive computer would you recommend

• Cressi Console Giotto 3

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • Cressi Console Leonardo 3

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Both are fine computers. The Giotto is a 3 button computer and slightly easier to use than the 1 button Leonardo. They use a RGBM algorithm which is conservative but fine for recreational diving. I’m not sure why he is recommending a console. Personally, I would get a wrist based computer and separate SPG. Gives you more flexibility as you advance.

Ignore the “your LDS sells Cressi” comments. Every LDS sells Cressi. It’s a good starter computer and has excellent customer service from the manufacturer.

Thanks for your reply and your suggestion.

I have a Giotto and its a great computer.

I preferred the 3 button layout as it was slightly easier to use. One thing though is that I would always prefer to have a wrist mounted computer - so much easier to refer to during a dive.

Thanks for your reply and suggestion. I too agree with a wrist mount computer makes it easier to refer too, however, with my training as a firefighter, I constantly know where my gauges are so console wouldn't be a huge issue, but I agree for quick reference a wrist one would be better.

I know you specifically asked about two different Cressi computers. But, I really need to add my opinion that you really cannot do better than a Shearwater. I learned to dive using a gauge and tables in 1981. I bought my first computer in 1990 and owned several over the years such as Aladins and Dive Rites. As a dive pro, I've had to help people figure out their dive computers for a quarter century. When I became involved with DIR diving, I went back to just a gauge/timer with computer generated tables and ratio deco. Then, I was given a Shearwater for my birthday.

THE SHEARWATER IS A GAME CHANGER!

I have the Perdix (also has an air integrated model) and Petrel 2. Both do Air, Nitrox, Trimix, Rec, Tech, Cave mode. Amazing features including downloadable logs, custom screens, personal displays, two compasses, tissue graph, every detail you want to know, gradient factors, bubble model upgrade, Wow!

Just sent my Perdix back for a bad depth sensor that's covered under warranty. Diving my Petrel 2. Can't say enough for the performance and customer support.

I apologize for not answering the question asked, but the Shearwaters are such amazing computers that anyone thinking of getting a new computer should look into them before buiying something else. They have just released the new Teric. Rec, Tech, Freediving, Air Integrated, & Watch.

I want to thank you for your reply and your knowledge. I inquired about the two mentioned because that is what my local dive shop mentioned. Having no knowledge on dive computers is why I posted the question on here for people like yourself and others that have commented sharing knowledge. I appreciate everything that has been said. I have been a diver for a little while now and and now wanting to get more involved with it. I bought a set of equipment used a few years ago so I could get out more and now I want to make things mine. I want to upgrade here and upgrade there and thought a computer was a great first start.

Again thank you for pointing me to a different computer and I will be checking them out.

Avoid any single button computer, I don't care the brand or the deal.

Shearwater is the standard in dive computers. If you can get one, that is the way to go.

And any dive shop will suggest what they have in stock over ordering anything in. They want to turn inventory and not sit on it.

Thanks for your reply. I agree with the sales aspect as I have experience in retail. However my dive shop didn't have any computers on the shelf. But recommended those ones. I will look into the Shearwater

That's another thing. The OP's dive shop reportedly told him to choose between two console models. Was there any consideration of a wrist model? I know that the question was just about those two, but I wonder why they didn't present him with the option...

Thanks for the reply. If I remember correctly my dive shop said both were available in the wrist model. I guess I just posted about the console ones because that is what I took a picture of to do research on both models

As a Perdix owner, i couldn't agree more, BUT...
The choice depends (a lot, in my opinion), on what kind of diving someone is into.
If someone wants to just enjoy easy diving, staying shallow, and not doing anything too extreme (e.g. playing with nitrox, MOD and depth), the Perdix is an over-kill: the dude in question, would probably never use the Perdix potential, so why spending so much (with the price of a Perdix, you can buy almost 4 Giottos) when an "easier" computer would do the job?

Thanks for your input. I have been a diver for a little while now but am just now getting into it a lot more. I am looking for an entry level computer. No really looking to get into mix gasses or anything. But I will look into all aspects before I make a final decision. Might start out with one of the ones I posted about first and upgrade to a more advanced computer when I get more heavily into diving.

I am reading posts and get impression that some people still can not read or do not understand context. OP is asking whether to choose Cressi Giotto or Leonardo console but people are offering Shearwater diving computers. Read first and reply properly, do not stick that Shearwater computer to everyone.

Shearwaters computers are really good, however, they are much more expensive. for example I have Cressi Newton computer which is more that sufficient for ordinary recreational diver. You can use this computer even as dive instructor. Most diving instructors that I met were using Suunto divig computers.

My suggestion to OP would be to choose Giotto as it is a bit more advanced than Leonardo and price difference is not very substantial. Or if he wants to have watch size computer Cressi Newton or Creassi Goa are very good options as well.

Thank you for your reply. I posted about the 2 in question because that is what my dive shop mentioned. Before asking him I was doing research into computers and got blown away by the different ones out there so I thought I'd ask my local shop. I appreciate the feed back into the watch size computers. I will look into all options before I purchase one

I might just be in a unique position in that I dive a Cressi Giotto and a Shearwater Petrel. :D

Until recently I used the optional VPM algorithm on the Petrel and it seemed to match fairly well with the Cressi with the SF set at 0 as previously recommended. But just this past week in Bonaire I set the Petrel to GF 50/80. I left the Cressi at SF 0. The two matched up surprisingly well with the Petrel actually more often more conservative. This was over 7 days of dives for a total of 25 dives. So I find it very interesting when I read how very conservative the Cressi computers are compared to others. To DSAT yes but not so much to other computer adapted algorithms.

It should be interesting as well to see how the two computers compare with the more aggressive dive profiles during my Grand Cayman trip next month.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom