Atomic Aquatics: My Experience With Getting a Cobalt Repaired

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jlevine

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

Since the Atomic Aquatics forum is no longer being monitored by the company, I decided to post this here. My Cobalt (original) had problems during my most recent trip to Belize. In the middle of the dive it started saying I needed to do a deco stop. I don't recall being that close to my limit but I started ascending and noticed that the depth indicator wasn't changing. Thankfully, the pressure sensor was working fine and I was able to end the dive normally. After I left the water, the computer said that I was still at something like 50 feet for two hours. The temperature was showing -30C. Even after close to two hours, I was seeing the same readings. The dive log showed that I was underwater for about two hours.

Since I live near the Atomic Aquatics repair center, I dropped off the Cobalt and received an RMA number. After a couple weeks, they called me and said that one of the sensors was bad and that they had to replace the whole circuit board. The total cost was about USD$90.

I was a bit concerned that the computer had died after only a few years and not even 100 dives but I am glad the repair was only USD$90. My previous computer (Suunto Cobra) lasted much longer before having problems. I do like the Cobalt and felt it was worth the money to repair it. I am, however, going to get a wrist computer. I really want to have a backup during my trips in case anything like this happens again.

Hope this info helps someone!

Thanks for this. As has been reported here, Atomic got some questionable depth sensors, some of which have failed after working fine for years. In fairness, this is an ongoing issue for many dive computer manufactures using these same very common sensors (as other SB threads attest), a small percentage will ultimately fail in use. The question is how the company handles the support, particularly if the product is out of warranty. I know Atomic tries to make the repair/ exchange as painless as possible.

Losing the Atomic SB forum is unfortunate. As far as I can tell that was a decision made by Huish Outdoors, not Atomic. I do try to keep an eye on SB in case there are any Cobalt questions.

Ron

Thanks, Ron! I remember you from the Atomic Aquatics forum. I do like the Cobalt. It was one of the earliest (maybe the earliest) to go to market with a super intuitive color interface. All models like this have higher prices and, while costly, it is a joy to use. Mine is out of warranty and it was nice to get it fixed.

One other thing to note is that the dive history is on the circuit board itself so when they replaced the circuit board, I lost the history. I'm fine with that but I thought I'd mention it as a reminder to periodically save your history if it's important to you.

Back
Top Bottom