Komodo LOB review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aleem.k713

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey does anyone have any experience from the Indo Siren, Ambai or KLM Amira? Any LOB experience for Komodo would be greatly appreciated.

Was on the Ambai a couple of years ago. Nice boat, everything worked, the food was good, the dives were good would dive with them again. Was diving with Underwater Tribe on a trip arranged by them - they picked the boat. As I recall it was a comparatively inexpensive trip.

Hey does anyone have any experience from the Indo Siren, Ambai or KLM Amira? Any LOB experience for Komodo would be greatly appreciated.

I have never been in any of those boats, but I have been in Komodo 3 times, twice with MV Tarata (budget) & once with Mermaid 1 (higher end). I enjoyed all 3 trips, but Mermaid 1 the most.

From your experience did you dive from Bali, Bima or Labuan Bajo? I’m not sure if it’s better to dive Moya or east komodo sites.

The best route is from Bali with Mermaid I

In August 2014 I took 2-week vacation (16 days including weekends) & flew from Houston to Denpasar, Bali (you can get the round ticket from Singapore Airlines for around $700 & fly eastward via Manchester, UK). Dove a few days in Bali, including 2-boat dives in the morning of the day when I supposed to embark on Mermaid 1. Brought the wet wetsuit to the boat :D Saw 9 Oceanic Mola-Mola (see my avatar) in Crystal Bay, Nusa Penida, Bali.

The boat sail through Lonbok & Sumbawa. Dove along the way to Komodo, including Moyo & Sangeang (Gunung Api) & West Komodo sites.

If you start from Maumere or Labuan Bajo, you need to take domestic flight from Denpasar to Maumere or Labuan Bajo. If you dives in Bali before flying to Maumere or Labuan Bajo, you need to have 18-hr surface interval before the domestic flight. So, you will lose about 2 days for getting to Maumere or Labuan Bajo from Bali instead of utilizing those days for diving in Bali.

I dove on the Mastro Aldo when I went. It's Komodo Dive Center's liveaboard. I just heard they are going to have a new one in 2019 to go alongside the MA. The MA holds 10 and the new one will hold 8. The MA is budget option with private rooms and private bathrooms though the bathrooms are not en-suite. There's air conditioning as well. The food was very good, the DMs were very good and experienced and read the currents and tides well. They are very familiar with the park and the associated dangers of not paying attention. It was my first liveaboard at the time and it was a relatively inexpensive way to determine whether I liked it or not. Long story short, I loved it, and I have done 4 LOBs now with another 5 scheduled between now and Oct 2019....Another 1-2 are not far behind for April or may 2019. :)Their prices have significantly skyrocketed - and I wonder if that's true for Komodo in general.

I'm returning to Komodo in 2019 and am chartering the MV Tarata per @Dan_T 's recommendation. Komodo tends to have a lot of supply on liveaboards so my recommendation is to not spend a lot more than you really need to for the creature comforts which in my opinion is AC. :wink: There are definitely more expensive boat options but I suggest saving those dollars for places where supply is limited and remoteness justifies the price premium.

I know others that have done the Bali to Komodo route and the downside to this is that it's usually more expensive and you don't spend as much time in Komodo proper. Komodo is so amazing, I think you should spend all 7 days of a LOB there. I have also heard that the sites en-route are a bit underwhelming due to dynamite fishing, or just compared to Komodo in general. My suggestion is to dive out of Labuan Bajo.

The trip I did was out of Labuan Bajo. The up side of that is you get to spend more time in Komodo and less time travelling between Bali and Komodo. Gave us the opportunity to do both north and south Komodo. However you do have to do a domestic flight from Denpasar and return. Personally that would be my preference, but others prefer to do the trip by boat diving on the way and the way back. You don't get to see as much of the Komodo area if you do it that way.

Ambai was very similar to Mermaid. So much so I have trouble remembering the differences. Would do either again no reservations. I do know I remember that I did not like the dining room on Mermaid - it was on the middle deck in front of all the cabins and was somewhat small and claustrophobic. I ended up taking my meals out onto the upper deck into the common area which was much roomier and open to the ocean. I am somewhat susceptible to seasickness so eating in an enclosed area where I can't see out is not a good idea :)

Dove RA on the Ambai in January 2018. Akim was a great cruise director, the crew were a joy to travel with, the boat is spacious and comfortable, the food varied between OK and excellent.
I'd recommend it unless you're a light sleeper - the boat creaks and cracks loudly when travelling at night!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom