Custom Drysuit - Did they measure me wrong?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheScream

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Ordered a custom membrane drysuit via my LDS and when it arrived the torso seemed awfully long and the arms long enough that the stiff dryglove rings were past my wrist with my arms at my sides. The entire length of the suit is that with the feet on the ground it is almost taller than me. It is comfortable enough trying it on but feels very baggy even with the very thick undergarments. I left it at the store for them to follow up with the manufacturer and the person who served me did say the arms looked too long. (she's a drysuit instructor but doesn't normally work there so I'm wary that the store manager may take a different view in the interest of money)

Is this normal? I'm asking because I don't want to be mislead into accepting a very expensive suit which was incorrectly manufactured. This is my first drysuit and I have not done the course yet so I'd really appreciate some guidance.

I feel it's a dui it's cause dui currently sucks. Took 4 suits for me to get one that's just barely "good enough". The only pro with a dui is they keep cutting you a new one till it's right.

If you're suits not right, then your lds and your suit maker should make it right.

This is not normal. Sometimes manufacturers make mistakes, other times the shop. You could have been measured wrong but for the arms/legs to be that long, something must have gone really wrong. A suit that's too big creates buoyancy issues.

I feel it's a dui it's cause dui currently sucks. Took 4 suits for me to get one that's just barely "good enough". The only pro with a dui is they keep cutting you a new one till it's right.

If you're suits not right, then your lds and your suit maker should make it right.
Not DUI, Fourth Element. I ordered it on the 13th of April and it arrived on 27th of June... 10 and a half weeks. I'm worried that by the time they get it right the season for needing a drysuit will be over. (Australia)

This is not normal. Sometimes manufacturers make mistakes, other times the shop. You could have been measured wrong but for the arms/legs to be that long, something must have gone really wrong. A suit that's too big creates buoyancy issues.
Thanks Marie, that helps. I appreciate the advice.

They measured wrong or it was built wrong. Either way, take it back!

Thanks Marie, that helps. I appreciate the advice.

My suit fit but then I lost a lot of weight. Huge air pockets I couldn’t burb out of the suit! My upper arms looked like the water wings you give to little kids! :D. Had a hard time staying down even with 8-10 lbs extra!

- I have extra material on the arms .i.e. with my arms at my sides and my hands through the wrist seals, it looks like there's fabric bunching up/folding over on itself. I'm pretty sure if I just stood with my hands still in the sleeve portion, the seal would be lower than my hand. The important things is when you stretch your arm up or out, there's enough material to allow for full movement without feeling restricted. You need to be able to touch your single tank valve (or comfortably do a valve drill in doubles). If it still feels like there's too much extra material on the arms even in this position, that seems much longer than needed.
- Does this drysuit have the telescopic torso? That could be a reason why it feels long. Again, try to see if you can raise your arms up while wearing it - ideally the material shouldn't tug on your crotch too much. For reference, my wife's custom cut for cold water and thick undies DUI suit is now my warm water light undies cave drysuit because of the telescopic torso - she's 5'6", I'm 5'11".
- My drysuit feels baggy on the surface as well. It's difficult to judge what's too baggy by just wearing it on land. Ultimately, you want it to work well underwater.

If you can, wear the drysuit again with your normal undies and lie on the floor on your belly with arms and legs stretched out as far as you can. This isn't how you'll be when you dive but I feel you should have that much range of motion.
Ideally, you want to dive with it and see how it feels but that may not be possible if you're thinking of returning it.

- Does this drysuit have the telescopic torso
The manufacturer got back to me last night and suggested that it was because of the telescopic torso that it feels baggy. However, I have little idea what that means, I always thought it was a feature so that standard off the shelf models could fit a wider variety of people so I'm somewhat confused why a made to measure suit would have it.

The manufacturer got back to me last night and suggested that it was because of the telescopic torso that it feels baggy. However, I have little idea what that means, I always thought it was a feature so that standard off the shelf models could fit a wider variety of people so I'm somewhat confused why a made to measure suit would have it.

The telescoping torso is to make the suit easier to get into.

Update: Turns out that they didn't include donning instructions and the LDS person who is a drysuit instructor just didn't know what they were doing with the telescoping torso. I still have slight concerns about the arm length which they have said they will alter if it is a problem in the water.

After I donned it with the telescoping torso folded down correctly then removed the excess air by crouching down and purging it fit considerable better.

Left is the bad donning done by the first LDS person, the right is supposed to be correct but still not certain due to no donning instructions included with the suit.
8rnnvTz.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom