Regulator in carry on baggage, anyone had any issues at security?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well that would be a hassle to take care of at airport security. It's hassle enough putting belt and shoes on, repacking laptop etc. Did this happen at your home airport in NZ?
Happened at Sydney airport in Australia. Only took a couple of minutes but still a pain. It doesn’t happen every single time but it does happen occasionally.

Some places seem to care more about water than others, I've been able to take it through often enough. Maldives they didn't seem to give a rats a** about my water, but got worked up about the large handled/short bladed/round tipped kids scissors I specifically bought for travel. (Which are at least within TSA rules, not to mention I can barely injure a piece of thread with them.) Also my little container of generic advil and tylenol. Though both got accepted in the end by the higher-up called over.

Had the TSA guys (and gals) in San Diego give my regs a very thorough inspection coming home the first time (the Tucson TSA team, oddly enough didn't get too worked up about them). Once I explained what the regs were, and how they are used, TSA was OK with them.

So far none. I carry my reg, dive computers and and underwater video rig in my carry on. Don't need many clothes when I head to the tropics!

And throwing a mask in the carry on works well too. Even if they don't recognise a regulator, they recognise a mask. That and miming breathing through the reg has always worked for me.

Back
Top Bottom